Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

b16a2

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Super Cereal Admin

you'll need all new mounts, swap axles (I think you can use some combination of 1g teg axles, but I'd just spend the money for swap axles), and you'll need to do some splicing of the engine/chassis harnesses. It's more or less a drop-in swap. Errr, a drop in, hit the frame rail, pull the engine, bend the frame rail, drop the engine back in, hit the frame rail again, pull the engine, bend the frame rail more, etc. swap Well worth it IMO

Old 11-30-2008, 03:06 PM
HCF Member

No frame rail get in the way, no modification needs to be done to any sheet metal in the engine compartment. You need to buy mounts, axles.

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/ar...p/t-11242.html

Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

There is no comparison between a turbo b16 and stock h22 which is the swap being considered the turbo b16 will make much more power and torque. If you take into consideration the price to swap in the h22 and the price to turbo the b16 they would be about the same in my mind there is no reason to swap out a perfectly decent engine for the h22.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

Because with what ever mod you do to the b16 you can do to the H down the line and I dont care what anyone says. The B16 is about the most tq'less basturdI have ever seen. The B16 is a waste of time IMO because of this. As Oscar Jackson once said "HP sells a car/part, but tq is really what moves it. H22 will be alot more fun.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

The b16 is basically a d16y8 with another cam tucked away somewhere. They ARE (as in fact) overrated in the past few years because of price and ridiculous demand for them. If you find one for a few hundred bucks, and are upgrading from a d series, then you're getting a good deal.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

What are your goals honestly there is no reason to pay all that money for h22a you will see very little gain whatsoever however the turbo b16 can create great numbers and if you build it it can create well 500whp and rev to a very high rpm without worry the advantage of good rod stroke ratio. The d16y8 is nothing compared to a b16 they have longer strokes with a smaller bore and pathetic rod stroke ratio. The b16 can make much more torque before needing to jump up to race fuel in comparison to the y8 they are more resistant to knock and have one the best flowing heads. I fail to see where the h22a is going to be an improvement now or in the future build its just a good way to spend a lot of money to go slow. The torque is impressive and helpful compared stock b16a to stock for the h22a however when you get into higher numbers on front wheel drives the extra torque is just going to kill traction and not improve ET's.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by bcivic
What are your goals honestly there is no reason to pay all that money for h22a you will see very little gain whatsoever however the turbo b16 can create great numbers and if you build it it can create well 500whp and rev to a very high rpm without worry the advantage of good rod stroke ratio. The d16y8 is nothing compared to a b16 they have longer strokes with a smaller bore and pathetic rod stroke ratio. The b16 can make much more torque before needing to jump up to race fuel in comparison to the y8 they are more resistant to knock and have one the best flowing heads. I fail to see where the h22a is going to be an improvement now or in the future build its just a good way to spend a lot of money to go slow. The torque is impressive and helpful compared stock b16a to stock for the h22a however when you get into higher numbers on front wheel drives the extra torque is just going to kill traction and not improve ET's.
won't the extra weight from the h22 help with traction?

Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

No the extra weight decreases traction because of the increased mass it takes more force to accellerate the car and there is only a certain amount of available traction. Not that it is significant anyway and at the level of a b16 being insuffuicient anyway would be well beyond the limits of any street car. Hands down it is completely unrealistic to swap in an h22 over a b16 for a street car especially unless you are going for all motor.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

I take it you have never drove a h22 civic

Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 AM
HCF Member

I take it you have never driven a turbo charged car like i was saying though stock to stock engine h22a will be quicker no doubt but if he was unhappy with a swap from the d to the b he will be even more unhappy with the swap from b to h 170hp to 200hp that is nothing. All I am saying is since he has the b16 as a current engine keep it had he had the h22a or a d16z6 or basically any other engine I would have suggested to keep that and build it. Swaps are not going to net you the most gain. the h is not worth 3k+ to swap especially going from the b16.

Quick Reply: b16a2