Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

b16a2

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by bcivic
I take it you have never driven a turbo charged car like i was saying though stock to stock engine h22a will be quicker no doubt but if he was unhappy with a swap from the d to the b he will be even more unhappy with the swap from b to h 170hp to 200hp that is nothing. All I am saying is since he has the b16 as a current engine keep it had he had the h22a or a d16z6 or basically any other engine I would have suggested to keep that and build it. Swaps are not going to net you the most gain. the h is not worth 3k+ to swap especially going from the b16.
h22 in a ek hatch is wonderous on a straight track but for daily driving not as good as a b16, why? its the weight factor! i own both motors the h22 in my 2000 prelude obviously and my n/a b16 in my ej8. ive had my stock motor d16y8 turbo charged and that thing was quick. so honestly if you want something fast and only goes straight get the h22. if you want something that is just daily driving stick with the b16. if you want something for daily driving and have fun at the same time i recommend you go b20vtec n/a very nice torque!!! and the motors are cheap for something that is alot better than the b16 stock. Or you can lower the compression of the b16 drop on a snail and boost 8-10lbs of boost you should be able to have some fun with that...however you will need to build it up so that it can last you a long time cuz if you dont build it right and tuned right that motor will blow also i dont recommend using emanage on turbo that thing will garantee a blown motor look into crome or hondata...hopefully this helps you decide in what route you will take if you have anymore questions feel free to ask

Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

I don't think any of the people arguing over the h22 has actually tracked a h22 swap on this thread, lol. and bcivic, your hp numbers are off, and i suggest not to always defend the motor you personally own unless you have experience with both. This topic is failed because i can google this same type of thread a million times over and everyone gripes the same dam thing. I'm not being mean, i'm being honest.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ej6buddy
I don't think any of the people arguing over the h22 has actually tracked a h22 swap on this thread, lol. and bcivic, your hp numbers are off, and i suggest not to always defend the motor you personally own unless you have experience with both. This topic is failed because i can google this same type of thread a million times over and everyone gripes the same dam thing. I'm not being mean, i'm being honest.
im not saying that the h22 is not a good motor by far the h22w/the h2b has been recently called the kseries killer so its good as far as a power plant however as for what he wants we also have to consider that he wants a daily driver so h22 will be a headache and plus he would have to seriously tune the suspension because of the extra weight added to the engine bay. and you will also notice that there are not alot of civics with the h22 at least not over here in the bay area. alot prefer the kseries or b series

Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 AM
HCF Member

So yeah i saw a guy at a place where i live on lankershim and hatteras, called j&C import car care, and i told him what im trying to do cause iv had my b16 in my car for liek less then a month, and im getting bored with it, he had a JDM right hand drive ek9 with a k20 in it, and a honda with a d16 with a small snail on it, and he let me drive his car for liek $20.00 around block and i liked how the torque felt, even with a small snail i think im going to go the turbo route on my b16. I'v never personaly drove a h22a but iv heard lots of good things about it, the car is my DD for the moment but later on i plan to get another car for a DD. The b16 i have is mid built, for high comp though. my goals are in the future about 250-350whp from my honda. I know it will take a great deal of money but slowly but surely

Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

ej6buddy you are right this has been argued enough i just didnt want Cyphen to waste his money on the swap, which hp numbers our wrong? 1st gen b16as have 160hp second gens have 170hp and i think h22s have about 200 thats the only one im not sure of. And i am glad that you are choosing the turbo over the swap I think it will be much more fun. Curious though how much of a high comp motor do you have, becuase that will make tuning more difficult.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 AM
HCF Member

ej6buddy you are right this has been argued enough i just didnt want Cyphen to waste his money on the swap, which hp numbers our wrong? 1st gen b16as have 160hp second gens have 170hp and i think h22s have about 200 thats the only one im not sure of. And i am glad that you are choosing the turbo over the swap I think it will be much more fun. Curious though how much of a high comp motor do you have, becuase that will make tuning more difficult.

160hp???!!! not to the wheels its more like 140whp same as the 03 si which is pretty sad but anyways im glad you are choosing the turbo route and besides seeing a snail under the hood of your car is nice.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Super Cereal Admin

munkee, check out that link to the Honda-Tech thread... it's a weight comparison where one of H-T's members actually took a d16, b16, and h22 block, put them on scales, and compared them. The "H22's are heavier" argument is completely invalid; the weight difference is somewhere around 30 lbs. In other words, you turbo a b16, and it's heavier than an h22 swap. Do you see guys going out and tuning their suspension just because they have a turbo'd b16 and need to account for the extra weight up front? Neighter do I . Throwing a snail on a b16 puts the extra weight way out in front of the axles, not a good thing btw.

My vote is still for the h22... assuming I ever own another civic, that's the first thing that's going to be done... I'm wishing I'd have kept the ej1 and done an h22 swap in it.

b16a = decent engine, but as torquey as my lawn mower
h22a = torque monster, great hp numbers, weighs a whopping 30lbs more than a b16.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Did we not already establish that the H22 is only like 30lbs heavier?

2nd gen b16a's have 158hp, actually. The only B16's with 170hp are JDM.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

sorry i was referring to a jdm b16a like mine which is second gen and has 170hp the first gen in japan also has 158hp the usdm version has only 160hp and of course that is at the crank.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:46 PM

p.s. I totally understand where you're coming from bcivic but the whole "H22 is too heavy" thing is BS, and that's the only thing I have a problem with. I respect your opinion that he should keep the B16A2, but I do not agree that the B16A2 is the greatest option out there, because it's not.

I also agree, there is no point in swapping out a mid-built B16A2 for an H22A, unless you have a ton of money and can afford to do whatever the hell you want to your car at any time. It has nothing to do with which engine is better (which undeniably the H22A), but just the simple fact that you already have a fairly decent engine and if you finish building it and throw a turbo on it will cost slightly more than if you were to swap in a stock H22A, and you would be making a lot more power with your built/turbo B16A2 than the stock H22A. However, if your main goal in the future is to make your car as fast as possible without a ridiculous swap, H22A or a K swap is the way to go.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 12-02-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: b16a2