Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine build qustions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 PM
HCF Member
Default engine build qustions.

so im building a new D series for boost. i want eagle rods and virta (sp?) 75mm pistons. i was reading in "Honda tuning" and there was a segment on building a b18c1 into a c5 for cheap.... im assuming that most of these procedures are common with every motor build. so they get into honing. now, in my manual they show this tiny little tool...in the mag they show a big ol honkin machine....now, i understand that both tools get the job done but im sure the machine they use is more efficient for their use. how ever, they talk about measuring each piston so they can hone the block perfectly for each individual piston.....do i need to do this since every thing will be stock size, just stronger stuff? also, for the main bearings and caps...they take all kinds of measurements on the crank...but if my crank is stock, can i just buy a main bearing kit for my motor and have it be correct? (like, are they just going for extreme precision?) and i dont understand ring gap completely...should there be any gap at all between the wall and the ring? or should it just fit snug?

im really kinda starting to think i should just pay someone that knows exactly what their doing to take on this task...but i really really want to learn and do as much of it myself (major machining being an exception) if you guys could give me some answers...i would be really thankful!
thanks!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Default RE: engine build qustions.

bro, i put in 75mm vitaras in mine, the cylinders looked fine when i removed the stock pistons, i dident even rehone, and i sure as hell dident measure out each piston. Runs perfect, holds 10psi with no blow-by, leaks, or anything else for that matter.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Use a dingle berry hone to put the cross hatches back on the cylinder walls.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 PM

The purpose of all the measuring is making sure nothing has worn intoan "out of round" condition.Like an oval instead of a circle. It is also to make sure all the new parts you've bought are within spec. Some manufacturers have better quality control than others, and will be machined closer to what they should be than others. The better all the tolerances, the less wear, and the longer parts last. Proper tolerances become increasingly important with more power and/or higher rpms. This whole process is known as blue printing. Here's a good article on it: http://www.evans-tuning.com/tech1.html

This equipment is expensive, and I wouldn't go through it all unless you plan on building a lot of engines.

As for 75mm Vitara pistons. No you won't want to bore any. I would rehone though.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:34 PM

Yes Ked, a nice deglaze for da win.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

The purpose of all the measuring is making sure nothing has worn into an "out of round" condition. Like an oval instead of a circle. It is also to make sure all the new parts you've bought are within spec. Some manufacturers have better quality control than others, and will be machined closer to what they should be than others. The better all the tolerances, the less wear, and the longer parts last. Proper tolerances become increasingly important with more power and/or higher rpms. This whole process is known as blue printing. Here's a good article on it: http://www.evans-tuning.com/tech1.html

This equipment is expensive, and I wouldn't go through it all unless you plan on building a lot of engines.

As for 75mm Vitara pistons. No you won't want to bore any. I would rehone though.
yea, i know i dont need all the big fancy stuff...just wondering kinda if they both served the same purpose...and i figured that would be the issue with tolerances... also, thanks...i know about all of the stuff involved in blue printing/balancing... so you guys say that stock size parts will be fine for me? also
Use a dingle berry hone to put the cross hatches back on the cylinder walls.
what are those? i have a very thin layer of...well i dont want to say rust...but you know how a surface can be corroded slightly...it just needs a hone...what are cross hatches? thanks for the help guys....t34...you saved me! i just about decided to just pay for it all...but your set up brought me back. (also, thats how i planned the 75 mm. pistons)

thanks guys!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 PM

The cross hatches are there so the oil floats on the side to better lubricate the piston. The hatches basically hold oil.