Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine finally called it quits on me...

Old 11-01-2008, 04:43 PM
HCF Member
Default Engine finally called it quits on me...

Ya so last night on my way home, my engine was making really loud clicking noises that sounded much like clicking valves. and it was getting worse and I was just praying that I would make it home so that I could look at it. Well it didn't make it. It gave out on me about a mile up the road from my house. but its not that surprising cuz it had 205K miles on it and i definitely drove the crap out of the car

I was driving just fine then it kind of sputtered so I put it in neutral, and a half second later I heard a loud noise like something in the inside of the engine jammed. The engine went from 3000 rpm to 0 instantly and it just locked up. My best guess is that something broke and got lodged in a cylinder and seized up the whole thing. I then coasted till I could get off the road and my dad had to come push the car the rest of the way home with his truck.

So it pretty much sounds like the engine is done. and I'm not quite sure what i am going to do yet. I would like to do a swap but I really dont have the money right now. I'm gonna go Monday and get some quotes on getting a replacement engine put in. and I have also looked at getting a newer civic with a lot less miles. So I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. It all just depends on how much its gonna cost. and my parents are going to help me out some so that definitely helps, cuz I wasn't financially prepared for this at all. but we'll see how it all works out

Old 11-01-2008, 05:11 PM

It looks like you've put a lot into that hatch. I'm sure it's worth dropping a newer engine into it. Was the transmission in decent shape? And did the truck pushing it do any damage?

Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

engine swap time, engines especially d's arent to expensive just get a new one you got a clean hatch new engine and you will have it on the road again

Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM

sorry to hear
hopefully things work out for you

Old 11-01-2008, 05:36 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
It looks like you've put a lot into that hatch. I'm sure it's worth dropping a newer engine into it. Was the transmission in decent shape? And did the truck pushing it do any damage?
ya we replaced the transmission about 2 years ago so its good. Depending on how much it costs we're either gonna just get a used d series or just say screw it and get a new car. and no the truck didn't do any damage cuz my dad was extremely cautious mainly cuz he didn't want anything to happen to his car

I have been looking into getting a 99-00 EX for a while now so that I could have power everything plus the 20 extra hp is always nice. Also since its another 6th gen I can just swap over the suspension and keep the wheels.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:39 PM

why not just swap in a d16y8 into what you have?

Old 11-01-2008, 05:44 PM

If you end up with a new car, you'd likely make a decent sum by parting out this one. There are some good parts there.

But I'd still say drop a new engine in. An engine alone isn't too expensive, and you already have the tranny. If you are mechanically inclined, have the tools, and have an engine hoist, you can do it yourself by following the instructions in the service manual. Wish there were more HCF members around Texas. They could drop by your driveway and do an ambush swap or something.

And I suppose you'd have a dead engine to tear into and play with. Never know what can be salvaged...

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 11-01-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction View Post
why not just swap in a d16y8 into what you have?
if I swapped to anything else I would do a b16 or b18. a d16y8 just doesn't seem worth all the effort of wiring the vtec, swapping my entire exhaust and intake, and all that crap just to have a SOHC. too much money for an ex engine in the hatch.

And I know I have the knowledge, tools, and resources to swap the engine myself. Unfortunately I dont have the important thing called time. I'm a pre-med student and I go to school full time during the week and work all day on Fri, Sat, & Sun.

Also I don't have the support of my parents for me to do somethin like that myself. The way they see it is that if they are going to help pay to get the car fixed, its gonna get done at a shop by a "professional"

Another point is that the hatch needs a new steering rack. It has a ton of excess play and the steering wheel will move close to an inch both ways before the wheels will move. So if the engine was the only problem then it would be a no brainer to just put in a new engine and go on my way. Unfortunately the rack is messed up, my headliner is falling, the air vents in the center radio bezel are broken, and the paint is starting to fade, there is no clear left on the roof, some places are down to bare metal, so it needs to be repainted. So I'm really trying to decide if I want to fix all this stuff or just get a new car with hopefully none of these problems.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Did the engine run out of oil?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

all I have to say is:

which hopefully leads to this:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine finally called it quits on me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.