Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

engine overheating i need help

Old 07-06-2008, 11:05 AM
HCF Member
Default engine overheating i need help

yes today and all the other days temp guage gets about 3/4 way up not to the red but the fan works i checked that i saw it kick on. I just replaced the radiator and also replaced the thermostat and i checked to see if bottom rad hose is hot and it is both top and bottom hoses are hot and it has plenty of antifreeze. Could anybody tell me what the deal is then i am really needing some help and also engine light came on today and found it misfire in number 2 cyl so i guess i will be looking for new wires and rotor and cap and just bought ngk plugs so thats out of the way would someone help me with my car i am also thinkin about trading it in for a newer model i have a 2000 right now coupe its been a big headache put about grand into it and still not running right bought it without knowing thats its been in a wreck and they fixed everything you could see but not the stuff you couldnt see. So please could anyone help me

Old 07-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: engine overheating i need help

Is the engine leaking or losing coolant over time?

You might want to try bleeding the cooling system of possible trapped air/gas, as described in the 96-00 Civic manual at the link in my signature.

If that does not help, you might have a blown head gasket, so check for (1) coolant in the oil and oil in the coolant or (2) white smoke or blue smoke from the exhaust and also (3) compression test all the cylinders.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:46 AM
HCF Member

i just got a oil change and it is all clean and this has been doing it for awhile so might not be head gasket cause oil is always clean and no blue smoke or smell coming out exhaust.
Yes i believe that my radiator is loosing coolent over time but there is some in there right now i dont see how the temp guage would go up with coolent in there now and how would you go by bleeding the system cause whenever i put new rad on i let the engine run with rad cap off for liek 15 they said that bleeds the system so i dont get how it could be going up with antifreeze still in the system i am lost

Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: JakeyMan07

...might not be head gasket cause oil is always clean and no blue smoke or smell coming out exhaust.
A blown head gasket is not always manifest as coolant in the oil. Have you checked for oil or exhaust gas in the coolant? I am suggesting that you look into these possibilities because you seem to have proper coolant flow through the system.

Yes i believe that my radiator is loosing coolent over time but there is some in there right now i dont see how the temp guage would go up with coolent in there now
How much coolant are you losing over a certain time period? If you cannot find a coolant leak, the missing coolant must be going somewhere, such as burning in the cylinders. A blown head gasket may allow exhaust gases to enter the cooling system. The gas may interfere with proper coolant flow and cause engine overheating.

and how would you go by bleeding the system cause whenever i put new rad on i let the engine run with rad cap off for liek 15 they said that bleeds the system
Yes, that is the proper bleeding procedure but, if some exhaust gas is entering the system, the benefit of coolant bleeding is only temporary.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

i can not find a coolent leak at all but i can fill the radiator all the way up and than drive 200 miles and it will move a little bit drive 400 miles and it will move a little more but cant drive more than like 60 miles cause temp guage will go up really high i do not get it at all i was thinking head gasket but i sure hope not i think i am going to trade it in for another car we put 1000 dollars into it and still not fixed thats not normal for a honda i heard honda are good i love honda but never had any luck with them so i think i might try something else

Old 07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Also check whether you see any coolant leaking from the weep hole at the bottom of the lower timing belt cover. If so, you might have a bad water pump.