Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Default Engine rebuild

hi guys. i have a 00 civic 1.6 liter single cam and i want to rebuild the engine to at least double my horse power. i currently have 105hp i believe. what are my best option? However i am more in favor of boring my cylinders and replacing the pistons with larger ones. any idea of how many horses i could gain from doing this? and i do realize i need to do more than that but i believe that would be the most costly part, any ideas. thanks in advance

Old 08-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Chubby Chaser

d16a1 pistons from a 88-89 integra are great to use into a sohc the give alot higher compression and upgrade the rods... upgrade the cam and put get the ecu tuned also use a d16y8 head gasket it is the thinest and get the head ported and polished..

Old 08-05-2009, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

The idea of boring a motor out to gain horsepower is a flawed one. The original idea behind boring cylinders out is that it is only done enough to true up the cylinders and remove imperfections. As the life of the engine progresses the bores end up a kind-of "egg" shape (more wide in the middle section, tighter on the end) and may also have scratches. You generally only bore enough to remove this type of imperfection so that you can bore more the next time you build.

Even a max bore (and I don't know what this is on a honda but referencing a small block chevy which I'm sure is much more and in a much larger platform) is probably 0.0060" which if you're lucky will gain you maybe 2-3 horsepower over stock. You're going to maybe net another 0.05-0.1 liters at the very best of new displacement.

If you want more power and you want to stay naturally aspirated you're going to have to gain cubic inches as well as increase your RPM's drastically. This probably means stroking the motor with a stroker kit if those types of things are available, changing to a high-rev cam, bumping the compression up drastically and most importantly and expensively, bolting on a head which will flow the way you need it to at high RPM. You will, of course, need to feed the pig too which I'm sure means bigger fuel injectors and a modification to your stock ECM if not a complete swap.

In the end what you're talking about (double HP N/A) is a proposition translating to several THOUSAND dollars, and no, there's no cheap way out. Got to pay if you want to play...

K

Old 08-05-2009, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

Highest you can go (on that motor at least is .1 liters over.) Not worth it IMO. I can't see how you would double without boosting or swap, but if you can you would have probably spent more time, money, and effort than if you were to boost it.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the resplies,i was adviced by one of my friends that since i wouldn't really know the true mileage on used engines that boring is my best bet.

So if am willing to spend like 3500, maybe a little more but trying not to spend more than that what are your advices on how i should go about that, increasing my hp, or if you know a link that would help also.

or is my best bet just doing an engine swap and if so what are the recomendations? thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

You could have a fast car with a k or h series swap but im not sure 3500 will cut it. You could do a b series swap but i think you're looking for more power. With 3500 you could put a helluva turbo kit in there and be even faster. Turbos are the easiest way to make power. Plus theyre cheaper and easier to install

Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM

i found an engine i want to use, K20A, which should give me the i believe 200-220. so far the chipest i've found it is 5300, any one know another JDM site i could probably find it for chipper and more important would it fit pretty easily? in my 00 civic