Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

the famous d17 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: the famous d17 question

Personally, I would choose K all the way. Turbo isn't a one weekend project for a first timer. I've never personally done it, but watching others trouble shoot for months, changing headgaskets along the way has detered me enough. I know having a "stock motor" isn't what you're going for, but you'll have a really reliable DD that will pull hard with a K20.

Pricewise, you're looking around the same for a good turbo setup (kit + fuel managment, tune, and misc others..that's WITHOUT a built motor) vs. a K20a2 swap, assuming you do the work yourself. There's nothing quite like a turbo (so I hear ), but I just think it's not practical on a daily driver D17.

Here's a 7th gen civic resource that will be of endless help whichever route you choose. I didn't link it before because the site was down, haha. Check it out, especially the stickies(a lot of turbo info you'll see on HCF won't apply because of the differences between the newer civics, just so you know! ):
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/79...nduction-swaps

Please, I beg you...research for at least 6 months - a year before spending all that money and regretting it. Remember, you're probabaly putting over 50% of the cars value back into it...you gotta think resale too. K swap is more likely to sell in the future, because its more likely to be reliable over a DIY turbo install with who knows what done to it. Just a thought, IMO it's important (even if it doesn't seem like it now)

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you've got any specific questions. When I was moding my 01, I went through researching both options VERY extensively (using civicforums.com , great for 7th gens, but you can't beat HCF for the people!). In the end, I couldn't justify the cost by any means, but there is a lot of fun to be had either way!

Zach

Old 01-29-2008, 01:27 PM
raz
HCF Member

Thanks for all the info everyone! IM STILL SO UNDECIDED!! haha. either way im probably gonna have to spend at least 8k on each project. BAKERTIME: u made a very valid point in all of that. [:-]im confused as all hell now! lol

I was also wonderinf tho..are you guys all takin about boostin a EX cuz I have LX no vtec...

Old 01-30-2008, 12:28 PM
raz
HCF Member

BUMP

Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
HCF Member

Some people prefer boosting LX's because they're slightly lower compression. It does make it a little difficult though since everything is EX compatible.

Let me ask you this: What are you goals? Do you plan to autocross, or is this stricly a DD?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:38 PM
raz
HCF Member

to be completley honest with you I just wanna have the speed when I need it. My firend just bought an 04 wrx and I know I will probaably never be ready to truly keep up to him but I would just like to at least push 200whp.

I def need this to stay a DD. I drive 60 miles a day to get to work and back. So i need something reliable also. I was even considering selling my ride..but being the good ol' husband I am I decided to by the 08 lancer for my wife and now..well you get the idea!

I have already put so much money in this car.. and I love it so i dont wanna just ditch it due to the engine. but im still a bit of a newly wed and money isnt the greatest right now so i do have a budget.

Just trying to get a general idea about the whole thing.
options are: K20a2 (i believe) or k24 (I heard can also work and is a little cheaper) and boost.

I know im lookin at at least 10k for a great setup and keepin it a DD. I just need help!
[:@]

Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
raz
HCF Member

I just checked out Dezods Turbo kit!! its freaking awesome!! It looks like it includes everything I would need with it. Is that correct? cuz if so All i gotta do is a good tune on top of that and im done....

but that sounds to simple..... HELP ME!!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

well it doesnt include any fuel system or engine management....so yeah you'd need new injectors/possibly a fuel pump, and then either a piggyback like the GReddy E-manage of the AEM fuel/ignition controller, or an AEM EMS.

Looking at THIS PAGE, it looks like those numbers would be managable on a DD. I say go for it, just get soem new injectors and a good tune.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 PM
raz
HCF Member

damn..so basically alot of $$ tho the page you listed is a little cheaper so would 6k after labor and tune sound like a good price for that set up..
And Turbo timers? is this necessary..If i got this right.. I tested a car that had one he stated that it was for the oil..so that when the engine shut off the oil wouldnt just sit there and poss cause some dmg..

is that a turbo timer or is that the piggy back?? I didnt like how he would take out his key and everything but the car would still be running..is that normal. and/or necessary.

And regards to piggy back ive heard they are crap, and heard they are good.
I have heard great things about stand alone set up..beside the price..

What exactly is the function for both of these things? and whats the porpuse? Im new to all this so bear with me pls.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:30 PM
HCF Member

turbo timer is to let your engine idle and oil cool down and collect back in the pan so it doesnt stay in the turbo and ruin the seals. Basically just lets you turn your car off and go about your way, while your engine idles for 45 seconds or so even once it's off. Not necesarry, but i think it's worth the extra money for a DD.

Stand-alone system's completely replace your ECU and offer alot of engine management options. Piggybacks are wired on top of the ECU, or "piggy-back" style. They just hack into the ECU's signal and tell it to retard timing (if yo uget the right harness), or at the very least provide more/less fuel. Both need to be tuned by a professional tuner either on the street or the dyno.

And that website does offer a kit with pistons/rods and fuel management for $6K. That'd give you a reliable engien and fuel management all at one time. They even have some headstuds that will fit your engine, head gasket too. Alot of options for the D17 on that website, just takes money.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:37 PM
raz
HCF Member

Thanks for clearing that up. So the kit for about 6k Im thinkin would be the way to go. it inclusdes everything I need. Any idea how much tuning usually is?
And do you think this is something I may be able to install myself. If I dont im probably lookin @ 10-12k for kit, tune, and all the labor.

time to call a loan company haha.

now also on dezod I noticed this..it says for turbo only but If for now i got that would it give be the dame specs? http://www.dezod.com/pd_force_fed_co...tnpolished.cfm

if so this may be a quicker and easier way to bump up my whp and still keep my D/D reliable until the boost comes thru.

what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: the famous d17 question