Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

HARD starting after rain.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:09 PM
HCF Member
Default HARD starting after rain.

No idea whats causing this problem...my obvious guess is something is getting wet. When it rains at night or if my car gets decently wet, it is hard as hell to start. It will just keep turning over and over and over, it will try to start, but sputter out, eventually it will start, but were talking 10-15 seconds worth of turning over. Start it up once, and its good for the rest of the day, even if its still raining. Normal weather it starts fine. Today, I was driving it home and it just sputtered out while i stopped to make a left turn.......I restarted it, but yet again, tons of turning over is needed. I am losing coolant, and just got a new radiator im going to put in, because im pretty sure my current one is shot, but in the event i blew ANOTHER headgasket, could this be the cause? If its blown that badly? I am definetly NOT doing another headgasket on this motor. Im going to get some new plugs, and a new cap for the dizzy....see if that helps........What is everyone elses take on it?

Old 10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: HARD starting after rain.

i think the coolant is a seperate issue, but the hard starting is almost definetely the ignition system. start with cap/rotor and wires, esp if they havent been changed as of late, then start testing your dizzy internals. moisture in the air kills ignition components that were tired but working.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
HCF Member

I recently did the coil, so im thinking thats good. Whats a new dizzy cost? I up on the fence here, if this new radiator doesnt stop the coolants disappearing act, I wanna buy an 06 si......but i dont want a car payment......so maybe get a manual dohc swapped in? ...............................idk

Old 10-18-2006, 01:01 AM
HCF Member

about 200-250. even a new coil can mysteriously go out.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:08 PM

Coolant mysteriously disappearing is not abnormal. Just keep adding coolant each time you get home, and it will eventually fill. If it doesn't you have a leak. Try adding for about a week and see if it corrects itself.

You might have a hard time starting it if your gas tank's low because of moisture mixing in with the fuel (which is hard on your fuel filter). Moisture can also give ignition components a hard time. Give these components an inspection, and maybe try cleaning the distributor.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

how would i go about cleaning the dizzy?

Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 AM

Never done it myself lol. If none else knows how I'll break mine open and let ya know.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:18 AM

Was there ever a resolution found for this issue? My 97 Civic Ex has been having this issue for several months. Always after rain car struggles to start, sometimes it's fine a few hours later, sometimes it takes a while. I'm yet to change out any ignition system components cause well...I'm lazy, lol. I can smell fuel after cranking it a couple of times and then later when it does finally start there is a strong fuel smell for a few seconds. Just curious

Mike

Old 11-09-2006, 02:56 AM
HCF Member

Thats the same way mine way.....however I just blew my engine up so Im not worried about the previous problem lol

Old 11-09-2006, 04:48 PM

i think that it is your distributer cap and spark plugs and wires getting wet, next time it rains wrap them up iin plaastic bags, in the morning take it off and see if it starts It is worth a try ,m trust me