Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Not Starting After Rain/Snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Default Car Not Starting After Rain/Snow

I've been having this problem for a while where my car has trouble starting after it rains or snows. I try starting it and it just chugs and doesn't start. This usually doesn't happen on dry days. If I do manage to get it started after a few tries, it will chug on me as I drive for about 10 minutes and then be fine for the rest of the day.I've tried changing the spark plugs, but that didn't help. The wires and distributor look ok.

It sounds like water or moisture is getting in somewhere it shouldn't, but I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, so I'm not sure. I've made a 30 second video of me trying to start the car to give an idea of what it sounds like. It can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY7jB1KZC_w

Does anyone have any ideas or advice on this? Thanks a lot!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Change the wires anyway, you can't tell if they're bad by looking. Also inspect the cap reall closely for cracks, or just replace it too. You could start the engine on a dry day then use a water bottle to mist water on various parts and see what kills it.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

How old are the plug wires, cap, and rotor? Replace them if they are old. You can't tell whether the plug wires are bad by looking at them. Try this test. At night in the dark with the hood up, have a buddy crank or start the engine while you watch the engine. Do you see any sparks jumping from the wires or distributor?

Also remove the distributor cap and inspect the inside of the distributor. Post some pictures.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:11 PM
HCF Member

It sounds like the cap is bad too me. If it has a crack or the seal is bad moisturizer will get in there and cause it not to start untill the water is evaporated. While you are trying to start the car the coil is causing spark which means heat and the water is being evaporated enough to start the car. Then when you are driving the cars heat cleans it out the rest of the way, then it runs fine. I would change the cap and rotor and take a close look at the rubber seal and make sure there arent any cracks in.
Keep us posted

Old 02-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks guys, the feedback I've been getting tends to point towards the rotor, cap, and wires. I'm picking the stuff up tomorrow and will let you know how it goes!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Chubby Chaser

i say you have a fouled spark plug.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Well, after replacing the distributor cap & rotor, getting new wires, and cleaning the corrosion from my battery terminal the car started right up! Thanks for the help!