Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'95 LX will not start after Rain or Washing. CEL stays on

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Default '95 LX will not start after Rain or Washing. CEL stays on

Hey everyone. Been having a problem with a '95 LX Sedan lately. Seems that whenever we wash it or it rains it will not start up again. The CEL will come on and stay on without cycling or turning off. The first time it happened was after a car wash. Ran fine after the wash but after getting home and letting it sit for a while it did not want to start up again. It would crank just wouldn't start. Tried replacing the Main Relay but it didn't help. Took the car to the mechanic and they said something about moisture at the ECU harness. Don't know what they did but they got it back up and running. Since then, the problem has been coming back like clockwork. If it rains, I know the car will not start up. We have to wait a couple of days after the rain forwhatever is causing the problemto dry up and then turn the key to the on position to see if the system will cycle and the CEL turns off. If it does, the car will start up and run without any problems. I have tried cleaning the ECU contacts as well as the harness contacts and have even gone as far as wrapping up the ECU in a sealed plastic bag to prevent any type of moisture from reaching it but have had no luck in permanently fixing this problem. Anyone have any experience with a similar situation. If so, has it been solved. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx

Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 AM
Default RE: '95 LX will not start after Rain or Washing. CEL stays on

you can very possibly have a bad windshield leak, or weather stripping leak, the water is going to obviously go down on the car and settle where the ecu is, is your carpet wet? pull the carpet back on the lower floor on the right and look and see if there is water there

Old 01-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The CEL code stored in the ECU may be informative. Here's how to retrieve it:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Clear the ECU after the code is retrieved. When the CEL turns ON again, retrieve the code to see whether it is the same code(s) as before.

In addition, take off the distributor cap and inspect internal components for moisture and corrosion.

When did you last replace the spark plug wires?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:07 PM

I think the problem is solved. Thanks Zackfjdm95. I found that the weatherstripping moulding on the passenger side of the windshield was completely missing. The carpet was not wet but after feeling underneath the dash below the glove compartment You could feel that everything was completely drenched. I ordered the weatherstripping moulding from the dealership. Should have it by tomorrow. In the meantime I am going to dissasemble everything behind the glove compartment and dry it. Hopefully this is the end of this constant problem. I'll keep everyone posted after I am finished. Thanks Again for the major lead.