Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Help with Engine build for Turbo Setup!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Default Help with Engine build for Turbo Setup!!

Hey all, I just finished putting a turbo kit on my 2dr2000 civic ex that hadthe stock d16y8 motor with 58,000 miles.I want to run 10 psi, but I know Iwould have todo a little engine build and a tune to do so. So my question is whatelse wouldI have to do to run at these psi levels safetlyThis is what I have installedso far:

-T3/T4 turbo w/ feed and return lines
-Mainfold w/ wastegate
-Downpipe 2.5" straight to the back.
-Intercooler w/piping
-BOV
-Fuel pressure regulator
-330 Injectors
-Missing link and FMU

*All of this is installed and the car is currently running.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help with Engine build for Turbo Setup!!

what size turbo? PSI has nothing to do with how strong your motor has to be, it is all based on HP, you could have a big turbo and onlt push 5PSI, but make 250, while u could have a small turbo pushing 15 and making 250. we cant tell you much without more info.

Let me the first to recomend that you drop the missing link and FMU, and get a 2.5 bar map sensor, and a good engine management system like crome or hondata.

This wouldnt happen to be an ebay kit would it?

Old 08-30-2007, 05:47 AM

from the description of the items.... sounds like it was copied and pasted from a newb section lol. so, you are currently running this turbo setup on your car now? what psi are you at right now? please tell me that you have a boost gauge and also please tell me that you at least have an A/F gauge if not a wideband (which you'll need for tuning)

Old 08-30-2007, 02:37 PM

Yes, the car is actually running and yes, it is an ebay kit. I am just messing around until I can do the b16 swap I want to do later this year. I am open to positive suggestionson how I wouldgo about buildingmy engine for 200 or more whp (All I want for now). Please do not post if you are here to criticize me for anything. The turbo is a Hybrid T3 T04E Turbo( .50 Compressor A/R / .70 Turbine A/R)
So far suggestions are: 1. I just get rid of FMU and missing link and get a 2.5 bar map sensor and get a good engine managnment system (thank you cpl rampage).
Here is a video of it running:
http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/c...DSCF1255-1.flv

Old 08-30-2007, 02:39 PM

That last link didn't work, this one should work though:
http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc129/Nastynas1518/?action=view¤t=DSCF1255-1.flv

Old 08-30-2007, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

Ok, thats a good sized turbo, although it probably wont last too long, it should get you to atleast 200, you could proably go hight, although i dont know how well the ebay turbo will last.

The stock block is good for 220 hp, so you should be fine, as long as a compression test turned good results, i would say just do a basic tune up like fluids, filters, a step colder plugs, wires, cap and rotor. and then the better map sensor and a good crom tune and you shold be all set. reliability and performace are sacrificed with a missing link and FMU. Also, when you chip your ecu, u could use it for your b-series when you get one. and seve some money if u ever want to get it tuned.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:34 PM

Sweet, I did do compression tests and they came out good and I did the basic tune up. So with a better map sensor and a crom tune, I can run the 10psi??? If so, thanks for all the help.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

pretty much, here are you options,because you are odb2, you cant chip your ecu like i can (odb1)

1.) get a conversion harness, because you cant chip your current ecu. and then buy a chipped P28 ecu

2.) get an aftermarket EMS like aem, greddy etc. this is mroe expensive then chipping is. but does usually have more features

3.) use a piggy back, although i think you might have to use the missing link with this, i am not too familliar with these

of you go the chipping route, check out xenocron.com, that is where i got my chip kit, if you are comfortable with soldering lots of small pins, then get the kit like i did and chip the p28 ecu that you need to buy. or if not, buy the whole ecu pre chipped from them, they can also make you a custom basemap for the chip as well. They also sell conversion harnesses.

I would feffinatly do your research, find out what would be best for you, and also what your local tuner supports.