Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

JDM H22A or B16?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: JDM H22A or B16?

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

I'm not saying the H22 is a ton of extra weight (I believe it's somewhere in the 120-150lbs region), but it's where the weight is that affects the handling.

please read http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684550

Old 06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: Marty

you have to notch your subframe to have a/c and with 96-00 civic's there are no hood clearence problems
Well that's the first time I've heard that you can run a/c with an h22 swap.. I'll have to remember that for future reference.

But the car in question is a 95 hatch, so I think he'll have hood clearance issues.

ORIGINAL: heymikey19
please read http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684550
Sorry, I stopped using H-T when it became apparent that 97% of the members there are ignorant jackasses, which is probably why I've never seen that particular comparison; all the weight comparisons I've seen have said at least 100lbs.

And for the record, the real weigh-in won't be 35lbs:
ORIGINAL: Hater-Tech
As for the rest of the crap... who cares. Intake manifolds are light for any motor and come in different flavors, same with headers and all that BS. Accessories are up to the owner of the car. Everything else hardly applies... flywheels are up to the user, axles, clutch, aluminum or steel oilpans, etc etc all this **** is up to the owner of the car so that crap doesnt need to be part of the comparison.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

yea i can see how a guy who owns a shop,weighs the blocks in the pics and writes that postis ignorant. failing to admit your wrong is ignorance.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I never said the guy who posted that was ignorant; merely that most users there are. For the record, I never said you were wrong, though if you actually readposts, you might know that already. And the guy that posted that even admitted he didn't weigh everything that would be included ina swap, which is why I said that 35lbs wouldn't be the actual weight difference in the end. Let me guess... you found that thread, saw the pretty pictures, looked at the numbers, and didn't bother reading the post?

Old 06-25-2007, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

Let me guess... you found that thread, saw the pretty pictures, looked at the numbers, and didn't bother reading the post?
actually no. i read everything you had told this guy on here, went to google, typed "h22 weight" picked one of the first ones that came up( without reading it) copied the page and posted it on here cuz i was pretty sure anything google could come up with would prove you wrong.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

jeezis. this thread is still alive?

I'm sure there's a TON of H22 hatches running around in cali with their hoods ajar because of clearance problems.

and if you believe that, i've got some land in iraq to sell ya...

Old 06-26-2007, 01:37 AM
HCF Member

Ok so I don't think the H22 will work at all after a lot of research. If I wasn't turbo'ing it, it might have worked. Here's the deal though, I cant find any turbo manifolds for the H22A that fit a DSM turbo. They are all t3/t4 flange, I have a 14b turbo. And even if the turbo wasnt a problem, i'd probably end up with hood clearance problems and might need stiffer springs for my suspension because of the extra weight. I've read so much about the weak sleeves and how turbo'ing those engines aren't a good idea.
So here is what I'm thinking. I would need to go with a B16 or a B18.
I have found a lot of B series turbo manifolds made for DSM turbos like 14b's. So that wouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't have the extra weight involved with the h22, i wouldn't have hood clearance problems, and it would be an easier swap.
So now its down to either B16 or B18. I think I want the JDM versions, so it would be either JDM B16A G2 or the B18C GSR. The GSR is an extra $900 and puts out an extra 15HP and an extra 13 lbs-ft of torque.
Do both of these engines handle boost well on stock internals? Any suggestions or more information would be greatly appreciated.
90%of my knowledge on turbo's comes from this site. I really appreciate all the help. Thanks guys!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:21 AM
HCF Member

and i'm sure turboeing an H22 eg would never work either...

http://www.tunedbylorange.com/shopcar.html

Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

you would not want a dinky little 14b on a H22 anyway

Old 06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Super Cereal Admin

heymikey19: You're right, I'm wrong. We've already covered this. Actually, I never said you were wrong; I merely mentioned that everyone I've talked to about h22's have said that there's a triple-digit weight difference:
all the weight comparisons I've seen have said at least 100lbs.
Next time, try not to get your panties in a bunch and actually help with the question a poster has at the time. The weight discussion ended on page 2.

drbyers: I think you misread what we've been saying. A normal h22 will have no real clearance issues with an EG's hood. What we were saying is that if you do an H2B swap, you'll most likely have clearance issues. And I never said you couldn't turbo an h22. I said that the h22's cylinder walls were relatively thin compared to other Honda engines, and that I personally wouldn't push the boost too high. Once again, all this information is simply things that I've heard and agreed with. I can't speak from experience seeing as how I still have a D-series sitting in my engine bay.

(and finally)bcrichguitars: from what I've seen, both the b16 and b18 handle boost extremely well on stock internals. I know for a fact that there are a ton of people running around with boosted B-series engines. But from what I've heard in both forums and magazines, b16's feel exactly like d16's until about 5500rpm, so there's really no point in getting a b16 unless all you want is that pretty dohc valve cover under the hood for as low of a price as you can get it. I say go with a b18.

Quick Reply: JDM H22A or B16?