Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Motor Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Motor Questions

h22 ares cheap and arnt very common like everyone riding around with b-series.

my friends prelude has pistons/rods/sleeves and some arp headstuds in his h22. on 17psi of boost he layed dwon 517whp now image that in a civic..

Old 04-13-2007, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

Badass, I think iv'e been brainwashed by people into not liking the H22. I always picture it being like super heavy and pointless. Allwel.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 PM
HCF Member

realistically...the H22 is only about 50 pounds heavier than a GSR.

the F series engines (aside from the f20c and f22c) are really H series engines. practically every part is interchangeable between the two engines.

the d16a8/d16a9 are both DOHC...but theyre basically the same engines as the DOHC ZC.

heads are interchangeable within series' (save for the DOHC D's...you cant put a DOHC head on a SOHC block). they are NOT interchangeable inter-series (if thats a word).

you will gain no hp from putting a d15 head on your car unless its a vtec head.

and guys...really...SOHC VTEC is NOT a power adder by design. on a SOHC car VTEC is aimed towards feul economy. VTEC is only really synonymous with power on DOHC cars.

a GSR is easily twice the price of an H22. you can save that added 50 pounds elsewhere. however...the H22 doesnt respond to mods quite as well as the GSR does..or any B for that matter.

and if you're going B series...stay away from B16's.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

Cool, thanks. Well I have looked on Ebay for motor swap options for both F and H series. It seems to be ideal to do a full motor and tranny swap becuase I am having tranny problems and need both front axles, and these combos come with everything. Here are the links.

This is for a H22A motor. I like this option the best becuase it comes with Axles, Motor Mounts, Harness and a computer and is specifically designed for 92-95 civics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H22A-...98690647QQrdZ1

This is for a F20b motor. I like this one also because it comes with a LSD Tranny, but does not come with Axles or motor mounts and all of the F20b motors I saw on Ebay keep saying Accord. I do not know if that is suppost to mean it is a kit for a swap INTO an Accord or if it came from one. But here is the Link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-F...spagenameZWDVW

Let me know what you guys think and let me know if that is way to pricy and if there is a most cost efficient way to doing everything. Thanks Agian.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i would go with the f20b because if you want to boost the motor you dont have to sleeve it because of steel sleeves.

f20b ftmfw

Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 AM
HCF Member

Well, thanks everyone for your help. I have done so much research that I can probably geuss what motor is in what model of honda now. lol. I have decided to stick with the D series. Not sure if I am going to do a Mini Me or just go with a full D16ZS or Y8 motor, but I found a D16 Vtec on Craigslist with tranny for $300. Figure if it is a good low mile motor I can tackle my tranny problem and throw a coupple of more mods on the engine and have about 150hp bolted on since the Z6 and Y8 are about 130 hp stock. We will see though, going to call the guy tomorrow. Thanks again everyone. I will post again and update what happens.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-14-2007, 09:47 AM
HCF Member

You have a Z6 do you not? (sorry im too lazy to refer back to the first post.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:17 AM
HCF Member

No, I have a D15B7.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-15-2007, 01:04 AM
HCF Member

Well I called the guy that had the D16Y8 motor. Turns out it does not come with a tranny even thought it was listed with the words 5 Speed in it which dosnt mean crap as far as the motor goes especially since it did not come with an ecu. So, I am on the look out for a Z6 head or motor/Tranny combo. I actually just learned that the Z6 only comes in 92-95 civic EX/Si, Del Sol Si. Which is cool because i can get a wrecked 4 door with a Z6 in it, swap the motor/tranny, the interior (which I need) and some A/C components. We will see though.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-15-2007, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

and guys...really...SOHC VTEC is NOT a power adder by design. on a SOHC car VTEC is aimed towards feul economy. VTEC is only really synonymous with power on DOHC cars.
This is only because DOHC VTEC heads flow better without porting. Most real racers get rid of VTEC because of the added valve train mass that comes with it. They will be able make more power andrev higher by getting rid of it. SOHC heads are economically designed whether they're VTEC or not.

Since we have a lot of motor suggestions flying around here, I'll throw in my experience.

The only Honda motors I'd build are as followed:

D15 (USDM or JDM) with a D16Z6 head. Great, cheap street motor with a turbo, and still very quick.

LS/VTEC with a B16 head, pistons, and tranny. About the cheapest power per dollar all motor you can make with a Honda.

F22 with H22 crank and rods, mated to a D-series transmission. SOHC F22s are the ultimate Honda motor of what I've seen. Bisimoto pulls around 400hp out of his all motor. (Imagine it turboed.) The SOHC head, Bisi reports, will make more power than any of it's H or F-series counterparts mostly because of it's intake angles, but also for a few other reasons unknown to me. It'san iron block I think, so it's little heavy, but the SOHC head and D trans would cut weight drastically. Even at full weight, I don't think it would be a problem. There are some awesome handling H swaps out there. https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_331987/tm.htm

I can elaborate on the first two if anyone wants, but I figure most of you are familiar with the D and B series.

Quick Reply: Motor Questions