Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

quick jdm vs. usdm question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
HCF Member
Default quick jdm vs. usdm question

i know jdm engines come from japan and are usually low mileage engines wen sold from jdm engine sellers, y is it that sites sell usdm engines, i mean wouldnt it be uncommon to get a usdm gsr motor with low miles??, also are jdm and usdm parts interchangeable if for the same engine?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: quick jdm vs. usdm question

you're kinda right and kinda wrong.

jdm engines usually have between 30,000 - 50,000 miles on them when they're imported to the U.S. and don't think they're easy miles either. japan has ricers/racers too.

as for your second question, i have no idea what you were trying to ask.

as for the final question, yes, many of the parts are interchangeable. the biggest difference between USDM and JDM engines is usually engine compression ratios.

JDM engines have slightly higher compression ratios, which usually equal to slightly higher engine output.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
HCF Member

well wat im trying to say is ok, the reason jdm engines have low miles is cause japan is not to big and people dont drive to far, after all its an island, another reason the miles are low is casue they have thew ken-sha which is kidna like the inspection in japan for cars, their difficult to pass the older ur engine gets and eventually people just forget it andf buy new cars, thats y the engine mileage is low on jdm engines, but for usdm how can it be low??, the engines they sell for example a b16 from a 99 si, how would they get their hand on a low mielage engine like that, their not to common in america, unless they steal them or get them from ttoaled cars

Old 04-05-2007, 11:35 AM
mxs
HCF Member

here's a question for you. if I told you an engine had 100,000 miles on it, would you want to buy it? And if I told you an engine had 20,000 miles on it, would you want to buy it?

not that I'm saying everyone is lying. But you as a customer have no real way of checking the actual mileage.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs

here's a question for you. if I told you an engine had 100,000 miles on it, would you want to buy it? And if I told you an engine had 20,000 miles on it, would you want to buy it?

not that I'm saying everyone is lying. But you as a customer have no real way of checking the actual mileage.

youre exactly rite, a lot of people can be lying about it, my friend bought a gsr swap about 3 years back, hes already put 50k on his motor sicne hes had it with no major problems, so u would have figuired the motor isnt to old, that might not have been all the motor the carrier sells, bu wut im asking is, how can u find a low mileage motor in usdm when they r pretty scarce to find in the beginning, i find that shady

Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

city miles are worse for an engine, compared to highway miles. and all japan has is city roads.

and as for difficulty in passing emissions in japan. it's not difficult. it's just cost-prohibitive.

the older the engine, the more you have to pay (literally in the thousands) after a certain mileage. that's why japanese motorists just trade in their car for a newer one, so they don't have to pay the huge increase in certifcation fees.

and the bad part about buying jdm engines is that you have to take the importers word for engine condition. many of the cars that these engines come from are totaled.

that's why it's always best to try and inspect the front clip the engines are extracted from, if possible.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: drbyers

city miles are worse for an engine, compared to highway miles. and all japan has is city roads.
Having lived there a while I can tell you that is just not true. The country side is one of the things I adored most about Japan.