Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

rods/pistons question

Old 09-30-2006, 08:22 PM
HCF Member
Default rods/pistons question

Would I need to send the block off for new pistons and rods? Or just throw them on in without a hitch.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: rods/pistons question

Send it out, get it done 110% right the first time, the sleeves wont be a perfect fit for the new pistons, id get it balanced......make sure they use ARP headstuds too.....this way head lift is NEVER an issue.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Remmy

Would I need to send the block off for new pistons and rods? Or just throw them on in without a hitch.
depends if you are going w/ larger pistons. it needs to be bored out to specs of the pistons. if you are going to replace the pistons with OEM ones for a rebuild, then the sleeves needs to be inspected for deep scratches. if there are no deep scratches then you can just hone it.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:05 AM
HCF Member

no use to replace rods and pistons unless they are bad (are as Hari mentioned there are deep scratches in the cylinder walls).
replace rings and rod bearings

Old 10-01-2006, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

hes upgrading to forged.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

what sleeves? im not going get it sleeved

Old 10-01-2006, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

if you arent sleeving, boring, using a bigger piston...whatever...just do it yourself. take off the head and the oil pan, disconnect the connecting rods from the crank, push them up to your buddy up top to pull them out, and then just do essentially that in reverse order with the new stuff.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:30 PM
HCF Member

The cyl walls need to be freshened up to ensure a good seal for the rings. IMO your best bet is to find a B18B short block and rebuild it with forged rods/pistons and use a golden eagle ls/vtec conversion on it. When you are done just replace your bottom end with the new one because in the end you will be removing the block either way. This way you will have far less down time.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:57 PM
HCF Member

Im only looking to overbuild. On a budget too. I will continue running 10 psi daily and rarely doing 20. Ive decided I dont want to get too crazy with swapping things.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

I understand that but for around the same price, way less down time you can have it even more over built plus you will have a B16 block to learn on or sale.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rods/pistons question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.