Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Tilted engine in bay

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:49 PM
HCF Member
Default Tilted engine in bay

So....some of you guys have seen my engine and we have all noticed that it has a tilt. Seeing that the engine was swapped, and a turbo kit added....could it possibly be any of the mounts?
How is it possible for the engine to be twisted/tilted?
Have any of you guys ever seen anything like that?

Oh BTW....I tuned her up today. The guy who owned her before me must have never serviced her on time because after I was done she was running like a dream. I know, once I can sort out a few more issues, she'll be purring like a *****

Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
HCF Member

Some body please help. I did some searching. I checked this company called Hasport.com that does engine mounts and what not for civics. I told the rep that the engine has a slight tilt and I emailed him the pictures. He told me that the mounts are good but I may need the passenger side frame rail mount for a 5spd because apparently the car was an automatic in it' previous life. Can someone please elaborate on this because I have been searching for this "passenger side frame rail mount" and I can't find it for hell.
Someone please help cause I really want to get this car on the road.
Pleeeeeaaaassse HELP!!!!
And if I do find this "passenger side frame rail mount" do I have to take out the engine to put it in?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Exactly what you said above is probably the issue. I was talking with a buddy of mine about your problem and he said it is because your car used to be automatic, and a certain rail or something (wasn't 100% paying attention as I was driving) needed to be replaced otherwise, this would happen. It has to do with the automatic trans being taller or something. I'll try and talk to him tomorrow to see where you can order one and how to install.

Also, I found a parts list needed for an auto to manual swap here https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=31774
Check out this site, too -
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1337459

"Mounts: This is alot of hear say for what to use. This is what you need and why. First off you need an upper tranny BRACKET (not mount) from a 96-00 manual tranny because the auto one doesnt even fit on the tranny, go figure (Part #: 50825-S04-000
Next youll need the lower tranny mount off of a manual 96-00 car. Also you will need 3 bolts to go into the tranny as well as 2 that go into the chassis (Part #s: Tranny bolts: 90190-SR3-000 Chassis: 90166-SR3-000
And finally a REAR TRANNY MOUNT Because the auto and manual are totally different. Here is a pic to tell the different. If you use an auto one it wont sit right, although you can use the AUTO bracket on the manual tranny. Part#: 50810-SR3-030" {from above link}

One of those mounts may be the reason you are having this issue. Hope it helps!

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 05-11-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:04 PM
HCF Member

Thank you so much dude.
If possible ask him what sort of consequences can result if I don't change it.
How can that affect the axles etc.
And do I have to remove the engine.
Thanks again.
When you come to the bahamas I'll have to get u some drinks

Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 PM

lol... it's no problem. I was actually driving with my buddy to pick up a rear disc assembly when he got a call from a friend in maryland. He was sitting there shaking his head while talking, hung up with that person, and told me about his friend's civic that had the exact same problem. He was also doing the auto to manual conversion. I'll talk to him tomorrow, and see what info I can find.

Is that an invitation? I'll PM you my address if you want to buy plane tickets and mail them to me. lol

Old 05-12-2009, 05:21 AM
HCF Member

Thanks mang.
So basically then I have to redo this guys **** work.
I gatta pull out the engine again and redo everythin.
That's what you're sayin?
If I was a baller I would have been more than happy to send you tickets.
You live up in Maryland?
If you do, I woulda been happy to give ya a vacation in the tropics
I know how cold it gets up there.
My sisters live up that way.
I'm planning a trip up that way for thanksgiving.
We may could link up then.
I'll keep ya posted.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:53 AM

Nah, I am in West Chester, PA. (About 1 1/2 hours away from MD) My buddy used to live there and knows many. The set of problems you are encountering is the main reason many people do not buy modded cars. It's just the fact that the previous owner(s) may not have installed aftermarket parts 100%, and are trying to get rid of the car so they do not have to deal with the consequences down the road, and (sometimes) purposely fail to inform you of these issues.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM
HCF Member

HALLELEUJAH....THE HEAVENS OPENED AND THE ANGELS BEGAN TO SING.

I ordered the bracket.
I should have it by tomorrow.
The guys at HASPORT told me that I just need to remove the tranny mount and change the bracket and that should set everything in order.
I guess it's easier said than done.
The guy who I traded with; I told him to let me know all the problems with the car so I don't have to do any guess work. I told him that I take full responsibilty for the car and I won't come and hunt him down to kill him.
He's a 22 yr old. I'm 28 and I do all my work on my cars; so I become one with my machine. TRANSFORMERS; Robots in Disguise!!
This is why I prefer to buy a car bone stock. Not to much guess work involved.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
March 2010 ROTM

At least you got this figured out quick. I know plenty of people who buy modded cars to find some crazy mysteries after a while. Hasport knows whats up. I have thier mounts for my swap.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

I dont think it would have caused any harm being tilted but now it will look much cleaner.

Grats on solving the problem. It's the best feeling.

Quick Reply: Tilted engine in bay