Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Timing Issues??!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: Timing Issues??!!

did you already check spark and fuel?

Old 11-04-2006, 09:55 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Roto
I got an impression he just does not hear what we are saying

Old 11-04-2006, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Misha

Who's not hearing? Me? Listen, youve replied to both my posts on this issue, and ive said half a dozen times THERE IS SPARK, THERE IS FUEL, THE TIMING IS ON. What am i not hearing?
Anyways, im thinking that because the piston rings have not been set into the cylinder walls, the mixture is blowing by on the compression stroke, so, im going to try putting some oil in the cylinders to see if i can get the compression up enough for some combustion.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Cat Fuсker

wanna know how to check if that is the case? Drain the oil and try to smell the oilpan drain hole. if it smells heavily like gas - there you have it. If not than it shouldn't be the case.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:23 PM

Well, i dident smell the plug, BUT i did smell the dipstick, guess what, it smells like GAS. Might have found the problem people. I just put oil in they cylinders, hope i put enough. Im just worried that since the vitaras are dished, i dident get any to the rings. So, im gonna let it settle around in there for a little then try to crank it.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

im just throwing this out there but is the crank and camshaft pulley lined up right? could be off! but idk, if it was to off you would have some pistons hitting valves

Old 11-04-2006, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: t34me
ORIGINAL: Misha
Who's not hearing? Me? Listen, youve replied to both my posts on this issue, and ive said half a dozen times THERE IS SPARK, THERE IS FUEL, THE TIMING IS ON. What am i not hearing?
Anyways, im thinking that because the piston rings have not been set into the cylinder walls, the mixture is blowing by on the compression stroke, so, im going to try putting some oil in the cylinders to see if i can get the compression up enough for some combustion.
You did not convince me yet that your timing is “ON”. Based on your distributor pic I do not think it is 180 degrees off, but it can easily be one or two tooth off…

I was asking you about your cam gear installation instructions, you did not answer. No idea if you have them or not did you follow them or not. You just state your timing is ON.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:43 AM

ok, i do not still have the instructions, but i did go to honda yesterday to compare the stock cam gear. The key and the UP position are lined up, so i checked my cam gear and guess what, where that dimple is is the pic, thats where the key is right under it, so yet again, everything is lined up according to every honda requirement for TDC.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

The more i think of it, the more I believe it is probably a combination on several things. Each of them would not stop engine from working, but together they just do it. Your compression may be a part of equasion, and timing can still be, too. Having this dimple up is not precise enough. You can easily be off a tooth or even two. Look at the pic

I circled marks for D15 with red, and for D16 with green. make sure they fit. Then, do you have a stock cam or you made a fresh install of aftermarket one?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:17 AM

my skunk has the same, instead of hashes they use dimples, i have the big one in the middle for up, then there are 2 small ones where your hashes are that line up with the head. Here, if you have ever rotated the cam with a ratchet or somthing with out the belt on, you will know it only clicks into 4 places, it stops every quarter turn, so when i put the head on, rotated it till is clicked in the up position and put the belt on.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11033/11C95673725145F8BE02CA0A1DCBF0DD.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Timing Issues??!!