Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

toyota possiblities?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
HCF Member
Default toyota possiblities?

ok, this is part on topic, part toyota...

as some of you may know, i lost my civic and got an rsx, had to get high risk insurance so to help me out my grandpa gave me an 89 toyota tercel. carberated ugly thing. dropped my ins. from 541 a month to 261 just by having the RSX as a pleasure vehicle. any way, i figure since i have this thing for free, clean and clear i should do somthing to it....it has a very weak engine so i was wondering a couple of things.

1. what all would i have to do to the fuel system to accept a fuel injected engine? im thinking nothing besides connecting fule lines to the fuel rail and that good stuff.

2. (i dont have any measurements or any thing for the engine bay, but) it uses a 1500cc engine like the old d15. so im thinking i may just be able to swap in a d16, have some axels fabed or find some that fit. make the shift linkage work and odviously connect the ecu and the engine harness.

basically im looking for an answer to number 1. and thoughts, comments/suggestions on number two.
not really sure where this would fall under because its not an official project yet, and im mainly only concerned about the engine right now.

thanks hcf

Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Default RE: toyota possiblities?

snag a fuel injected 4AGE motor out of a 1st gen MR2 or a 5th genCorolla(if u can find one) and swap it in there. im not sure if it'll fit but it'd be a better shot than swapping a D16 in there. the 4AGE in my '87 Corolla feels much better than the D16 in my civic.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

right, i wanted to stick toyota at first...but the problem with the 4AGE is that they are only RWD platforms right? im not wanting to get into cutting a drive shaft tunnel and swapping in a rear axel. lol im still pondering just getting the same motor only newer from a fuel injected donor, and seeing what i can do for bolt ons. but im just trying to get some ideas as to the possibilites i have...

Old 05-06-2008, 07:48 PM

the 4AGE comes mounted transversly for the FX16 GTS Corollas which are FWD. its also the way it sits in the MR2's since they are mid-engine/RWD. bolt ons arent gena do much for the SOHC in the Tercel. a Tercel around my area is running high 13's with his but i believe he's swapped it for a JDM motor and has a decent amount of work done to it...

Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 PM
HCF Member

on second thought...4age may be the best way to go.....yea im not looking to make it any thing super fast...just quicker than it is and a ton more reliable...i also want to do something to the suspension.....that should be tons of fun.

thanks for you help