Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Upgrade Pulleys??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Default Upgrade Pulleys??????

Came across the AEM Tru-Power Pulley kit.

AEM Description: AEM Tru-Power pulleys increase horsepower by decreasing the parasitic effects that factory accessory pulleys have on a vehicle’s engine. The pulley’s lightweight 6061 T-6 billet aluminum construction reduces rotating weight and increases efficiency.

Would doing this upgrade be worth the 175 bucks, or is it just a description to sell products? I'm new to the engine upgrade game so any help will be great.

Old 04-22-2005, 03:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Upgrade Pulleys??????

its a worthy upgrade power wise, but if you are running alot of powered options like a stereo or alot of neon etc... then I'd steer away from it.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:11 PM

the only electronics I'm running in the car right now is a DVD player in the headrests so when I have the kids they stay quite, but those times are far a few between. The rest of the electronics is stock, but I am changing out the headunit so I can have my SIRIUS and XM radio back. How does changing the pulleys help with power to the engine? I guess I'm missing something here. Thanks for the help

Old 04-23-2005, 03:06 PM

Well, it'll theoretically help the engine rev faster, but it (I assume you're talking about a crank pulley) should be one of the last upgrades you consider. Unless you're engine is already built top to bottom, and you've already got a lightened flywheel, you won't really notice a difference.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:34 PM

Kappa22, sorry; I didn't note the pulleys that came in the kit. This is the rest of the description from AEM...
AEM Tru Power Pulleys are lighter in weight and larger in diameter slowing down the power steering and alternator, reducing the amouny of energy needed to drive them. Significant horsepower gains can be realized with this simple to install package with no recorded effect on emission levels. Each application includes both power steering and alternator pulleys and high performance custom-fitted belts. Would this effect the aftermarket equipment power consumption? Running aftermarket stereo and dvd system.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:56 PM
HCF Member

AEM doesnt make a crank pulley. they know that its not worth the risk of blowing up engines from not having any provision for removing harmonic vibrations. dont get the crank pulley. but on the other hand, the AEM accessory ones help by turning the accessories slower, thereby reducing the power it uses to turn them. as Kappa stated, the power and response gains from the lighter weight would be negligable, but the power from driving the accessories slower is noticeable. if you ever plan on running a decent sized amp, dont do the alternator one. should be a nice 4-5 or so horses, but across the rpm range, so its useful all the time, not like some mods that only give you power in a few rpm zones.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

what if you dont have power stering or a/c because i am about ready to instal my megan racing crank pulley on my car, i have seen lots of pulleys put on d-series civics in magazines like several of them..... i just want to see how much more acceleration i get, i dont really car about the power just need something to get the car off the line faster...