Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

what can i do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 AM
HCF Member
Default what can i do?

i have a 00 ex d16y8,
im constantly getting crap from my friend that drives a 07 si, i dont know too much about the new si motors, i dont know if they stuck with the same k20 setup or made it more than what the last was putting out to the wheels.
i am running a lousy (sp?) short ram on my motor which really doesnt do s**t. i want to be able to put his car to shame without a swap and for the least amount. i also have an extra motor (16y8) on the side that i have to fix (rod bearing) so with that i need to replace crank, connecting rods and bearings.
i rather not go the expensive route to beef up everything in my engine for a turbo which will run upwards of a grand to just beef it up and another 2 grand for the turbo
what can i do to beat a 07 si?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:00 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: what can i do?

BOOST IT!!!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM
HCF Member

i want to piece together one so it wont cost me too much but not sure what to look for and ive researched before and cant find much. if i piece something together would it be safe on my stock internal engine?

and i like your signature picture, looks like the same civic they built in the first issue of project car mag, i love that magizine, cant wait for the next to come out.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:40 AM
HCF Member

if your gonna go turbo and want piece it together you should take a look at this...
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_40.../tm.htm#400322

if not and you just want a little more power take a look at this... this helped me out some.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_99532/tm.htm

Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

Have you thought about nitrous? You could install a 50 wet shot system pretty safely without modifying your internals. That would give you roughly +50 hp (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I still doubt that'll beat out your friends' si, though. His engine has 197 peak bhp, while yours has 127 peak bhp. The k20 probably also has a more even power band than your engine (I'm guessing, but I recall that this was one of Honda's design goals for the K series), so he'll have a low-end advantage too.

If you want to beat him without spending lots of money...MAAAAAYBE you could pull it off by installing a 50 shot and removing everything in your passenger cabin except for the driver's seat (backseat, front passenger, spare tire, all interior carpetting, upholstry, stereo, soundproofing) ...and then racing him with a gallon or less of gas in the tank After you race him, then you can install all that stuff again.

Then again, if you do all this and lose, your friend's probably going to make fun of you even more

Old 04-18-2008, 04:18 AM
HCF Member
Default reply to nitrous

yeah i have thought a lot about nitrous, in fact another friend of mine with the same civic was running a holley NOS dry kit on his, with i think 50 or 75 shot. he asked me if i want to buy it for $200 comes with a purge also, sounds like a good deal, just dont know if my 130K engine could handle it if i threw that at it. plus the nitrous has already been routed for my car, it would be a really easy modification, its just so hard to decide on something, i might wait till i fix my old engine to do this tho, just for a little reassurance.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: reply to nitrous

you can rent a compression tester tool from autozone (for 'free'--you pay a deposit that you get back when you return the part). You can use this get a rough idea of your engine's sealing and compression capabilities. How to use a compression tester is more than I can cover here, so that's a topic on which you want to search the forums or google.

There's 2 or 3 different kinds of nitrous systems. A dry shot just injects nos and counts on your injectors to deliver the extra fuel you need. I'm not 100% on this, but I've read that this system can potentially cause you to run lean, which will cause heat issues. I guess you should do more research if you plan on installing one.