Go Back  HondaCivicForum.com > Civic Style > Engine & Internal
Reload this Page >

Whats better for what i am planning I am unsure

Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Whats better for what i am planning I am unsure

Old 10-19-2007, 05:51 PM
HCF Member
Default Whats better for what i am planning I am unsure

I have been planning something for my 1995 civic cx and well I want to get started before november so i have ample time to get this engine done. I already have a plan pretty elaborite but if i can keep my job the expense should end up being covered......so here is a overveiw and my question

Overveiw
(use either a D15B2 with 120k on the motor came running outof a 1990 CRX dx (bought for 50$'s ) but will end up being rebuilt.....or if i can get one soon and for the right price a D16y7 )

And do the following to it
Rebuild it using performance parts and stock Dseries (the best of the best parts) such as a Y7 head no matter what since I want a)the valve cover and b)the spark plug locations great...Y8 intake manifold etc etc
I am going to try and get the best results without turbo and this car will be auto-cross as well as daily driver oriented....

My question is which would be best the D15B2 or D16Y7 engine block and crank to build from? ive looked online and all i can find is vtec vtec vtec I am going into uncharted nonvtec territory and I dont care if you hate me for going non vtec or bseries I just want to do something not to many people if all have done.so please help since I need to do something asap
Thank you

Also "Save the D-series" lol

Old 10-20-2007, 02:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Whats better for what i am planning I am unsure

bump any help in this

Old 10-20-2007, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

View, I before E except after C . Why are you planning on going to a non vtec, being different is understandable but I dont think there are a lot of people out there with a souped up 90's cx with a swapped engine. If you could find a vtec engine it would help your car out, if what your doing is performance all the way then get the best stuff you can get for a civic. I dont know much about engine swaps with engine bays, but H22 is a good engine and the K20's are good. I dont know anything about D's or their numbers. Im sure someone else will help you out soon

Old 10-20-2007, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

I agree with Koshak, I can understand wanting to do something different but if I were you I would go with a vtec engine to start with and then do something different from there, vtec is one of the things that makes honda engines great. I would get a d16z6 or something similar to start with and work from there.

If you are set on the non vtec engine though hopefully someone will be able to help you out but i really know nothing about non vtec engines so I cant help much. But good luck with whatever you decide, it should be a fun project

Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 AM

V-tec is great because, when it "kicks in", the power band is shifted from lower to the the higher rpms (ideal). As for non-vtec, you have to choose which rpm range you want peak torque and hp (ie, different cams).

Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

vtec does nothing but smooths the transistion from low rpm cam to high rpm cam lobes. I think it sound like a good idea, the Y7 head is the best head to do this with. Also try to find a D16a6 block/pistons to do it with

A6 block/pistons
Y7 head
2 layer Y7 head gasket

Will up your compression ratio and you can get a custom grind cam from delta cams