General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

"what have you done to your civic today?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BX_Civic
Added some rims today that took me about 5 hours to clean up.

Pics are better than words so here goes:
You should probably get those balanced... I don't see any weights on them.

What'd you use to clean?

Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
You should probably get those balanced... I don't see any weights on them.
What'd you use to clean?
They do have some weights on them even thought i seem to have missed them in the pics but the wheels feel a bit shacky around 80mph so i think im going to have them rebalanced just to be safe.

For cleaning i used a few products.

Step 1: hot water with a industrial strength degreaser. About 2 tablespoons to 2 gallons. I made it very watery as i didn't want to mess up the back paint. Scrubbed the inside and the outside of the wheels with this first then quickly rinsed off any leftovers.

Step 2: More hot water with mequires car wash and washed them again.

Step 3: Mequires wheel mag cleaner on the polished lip and the black parts themselves. Then wiped down with a wet t shirt and some Windex to get whatever wheel polish o didnt get off.

Ironically those pics are not from when i was 100 percent, they were from before i did step three but i had to get ready to go out and was not able to take anew set of pics.

All pics were shot with a Sony cybershot DSC-N1 8mp with the help of a 6inch tripod

Ill be doing a small shoot new weekend with my buddy who drives a 2007 matrix..

Old 03-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

simply green works great for cleaning wheels. but id also agree might want to have them ballanced. only downfall with cleaning the wheels with strong cleaner is those stick on weights can fall off very easily!
and before you get them to stick on new weights make sure they clean the wheels with some alcohol because even a bit of dirt on the wheels and they fall off easily

Old 03-29-2009, 05:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

from what ive heard windex is suposed to be bad to use on wheels.... something about it eating up the paint..

Old 03-29-2009, 05:47 AM
HCF Member

Yeah its not the best because its pretty strong but it works well if used smart.

I always wash things with water after i use Windex to make sure i don't leave ammonia laying around.

im lik the guy from that movie, " put some Windex on it" lol

Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well today i FINALLY installed my sunvisors.... ive been to lazy and now that im short on cash i decided to finally pull my stockers off and put em for sale.

Name:  civicsunvisors001.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  175.7 KB
Name:  civicsunvisors002.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  179.5 KB
Name:  civicsunvisors003.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  105.1 KB
Name:  civicsunvisors004.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  147.3 KB
Name:  civicsunvisors005.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  189.9 KB

eventually ill paint the grey mounting tabs gunmetal and grind down the clips and paint them also. i didnt want to paint them just yet because they are so tight it would defiantly chip the paint and look worse.

and i got lazy with the mirrors so they are not quite glued on there very straight but good enough. its just hot glue so i can remove it at any time i want and redo them.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by BX_Civic
Yeah its not the best because its pretty strong but it works well if used smart.

I always wash things with water after i use Windex to make sure i don't leave ammonia laying around.

im lik the guy from that movie, " put some Windex on it" lol
I forgot to mention, those rims look really good on your car.

I remember when you posted pics of them by themselves, the first time you posted them on HCF, and I was thinking they didn't look so good. But when you put them on the car, they look 100x better than I thought they would.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Angry Admin

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
well today i FINALLY installed my sunvisors.... ive been to lazy and now that im short on cash i decided to finally pull my stockers off and put em for sale.

eventually ill paint the grey mounting tabs gunmetal and grind down the clips and paint them also. i didnt want to paint them just yet because they are so tight it would defiantly chip the paint and look worse.

and i got lazy with the mirrors so they are not quite glued on there very straight but good enough. its just hot glue so i can remove it at any time i want and redo them.

this its making me trip *****

Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I forgot to mention, those rims look really good on your car.

I remember when you posted pics of them by themselves, the first time you posted them on HCF, and I was thinking they didn't look so good. But when you put them on the car, they look 100x better than I thought they would.
Thanks man, i knida thought the same thing when i first saw them. Then i thought when woldl i find another good deal like this?

So i figured i would go look at them, and even still i was like hrm, but my dad was like they will look nice once you clean them up a bit.

So far everyone that have seen them on the car think they look really nice and even better, i just go back from a ride out to NJ and the ride is not stiff.

I think ima take them to get balanced next week as they vibrate a bit after around 75mph, hopefully that will fix that issue.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:11 PM

Woot, I got my stock hub caps back on. Ze auto is unpimped.

Quick Reply: "what have you done to your civic today?"