General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

1995 civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Hi yall, I didn't want to start another thread so I thought I'd ask this general question here. After all, I have also a 1995 civic, DX... The previous owner told me that the engine is from a 96, IDK. What is the most basic things I need to make sure of that the car isn't going to brake down in the road in a few short days? The car seemed a bit frail to me after I took a good look under the hood and I am not sure how good it will run once I start driving it. What do I need to make sure are there and in good, working conditions? Thanks

Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM

check the condition/levels of all your fluids, belts, spark plugs, distributor rotor/cap

look for leaks

Old 02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
check the condition/levels of all your fluids, belts, spark plugs, distributor rotor/cap

look for leaks
Thanks, will do. I'm due to pick up the car tomorrow from its parking location and start driving it. From there I will look for what needs attention to keep it running before I decided on aesthetics. It will definitely need a paint job but, that's later.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Here is a lookt under the hood of my car. Apparently the parts for the AC are missing and the oil dipstick is broken.
pic one

pic two

pic three

pic four

Last edited by FRZ; 02-05-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 AM
FRZ
HCF Member

I was wondering about all the stuff that might need fixing in my car, how much of it would you guys consider doable (by me), without going to the mechanic shops? Without a big pocket I just don't trust these shops feeling like they'll overcharge me and I won't get the fix that I need. This isn't my first car so I know the story a little. I was never able to get my car inspected without spending 4-5 hundred dollars which always seem like it was just a quick fix.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

do you know what you need to fix start out by determining what needs to be fixed, but in general like most cars with general skills and research you can do the majority of the repairs, it just might take you a little longer, but it will for sure save you money unless you really screw something up, the great thing about civics is there are hundreds of other people on the internet who have already done exactly what you are trying to do and usually they are willing to help

Old 02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Apparently I need all the parts to get AC in the car. For some odd reason the car came completely void of it, see the empty spot in front of the engine in picture two.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
do you know what you need to fix start out by determining what needs to be fixed, but in general like most cars with general skills and research you can do the majority of the repairs, it just might take you a little longer, but it will for sure save you money unless you really screw something up, the great thing about civics is there are hundreds of other people on the internet who have already done exactly what you are trying to do and usually they are willing to help
Right now I am letting my brother work on it, he is a mechanic. He is helping me get some of the parts and putting them on for me. Eventually though, I will get my hands dirty and work on it myself. I am so far just trying to learn as much as I can about the parts in the car so I will be ready later.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
HCF Member

oh well i am not really sure about that but it shouldn't be too hard to do, it is pretty common to remove the a/c people do it for the weight reduction that is prly why it was removed, mine has been removed,

Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Originally Posted by joelmatt89
oh well i am not really sure about that but it shouldn't be too hard to do, it is pretty common to remove the a/c people do it for the weight reduction that is prly why it was removed, mine has been removed,
I can't live without the AC in the car. I will need for the summer because the last car I had with no AC because I neglected to refill it turn out to be a very bad experience, and plus my car is purely for cruising. I am not in to racing or any of that stuff, not to mention I learn my lessons after getting my license suspended for excessive speeding tickets and having a ton of fines.

Quick Reply: 1995 civic