General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

1995 civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:53 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I agree with all the above. Looks like a ticking timebomb to me... but then again, I bought one too and fixed all the problems... it's been a money pit though
I don't know how much the parts will cost to get it right but, I will do as much shopping around as possible to minimize that cost. I know a pretty decent junkyard already that I plan on visiting.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Ok guys, question. Someone is offering me all the parts for the AC for $250, used. Is that a good price?

Old 02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
I agree with Forty. The car has potential to turn into your worst nightmare.
Even if I plan on taking good care of it?

Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by FRZ
Even if I plan on taking good care of it?
Our only role in this discussion is to offer you advice based on the limited information that you can provide. The question you need to ask yourself is whether your best choice is to invest in a potential "bottomless pit" of money or to cut your losses now by selling the car and finding a Civic that won't require as much time, money, and frustration to get on the road.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 PM
FRZ
HCF Member

Our only role in this discussion is to offer you advice based on the limited information that you can provide. The question you need to ask yourself is whether your best choice is to invest in a potential "bottomless pit" of money or to cut your losses now by selling the car and finding a Civic that won't require as much time, money, and frustration to get on the road.
Ouch! Ok. I hear you and all so I might as well ask. When you say bottonless pit of money, what would you estimate that to be?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM

wait... this is a DX
did it ever have AC to begin with?

and another possible explanation for the motor swap is the original owner may have snapped the timing belt on the old engine from neglecting to change it.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by FRZ
When you say bottomless pit of money, what would you estimate that to be?
Therein lies the problem. It's very difficult to say how many major problems will be uncovered during the repair process. How much are you willing to spend?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 AM
FRZ
HCF Member

Therein lies the problem. It's very difficult to say how many major problems will be uncovered during the repair process. How much are you willing to spend?
IDK, I bought this car mostly because I like the its design so I'll just have to see how much I do with it. I was thinking $2000 on repairs doesn't sound so bad as long as that can make the car decent/drivable until I feel otherwise. I am only looking to understand what major parts need to be fix or replaced to achieve that goal and I will focus on getting them done. Most importantly to me are the parts that make the car drive.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 AM
FRZ
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
wait... this is a DX
did it ever have AC to begin with?

and another possible explanation for the motor swap is the original owner may have snapped the timing belt on the old engine from neglecting to change it.
Who knows. Whatever they did, they left a lot of loose ends under the hood. My primary thought when I looked under the hood the next day that I bought it was that they probably put the car together from the junkyard or something but, the car drives so I figured, "oh well, at least they put some parts together right". And I hope to try to get as much of what wasn't not as much as possible to keep it running.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by FRZ
IDK, I bought this car mostly because I like the its design so I'll just have to see how much I do with it. I was thinking $2000 on repairs doesn't sound so bad as long as that can make the car decent/drivable until I feel otherwise. I am only looking to understand what major parts need to be fix or replaced to achieve that goal and I will focus on getting them done. Most importantly to me are the parts that make the car drive.
How much did you pay for the Civic and how much money have you currently invested in repairs?

Quick Reply: 1995 civic