General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2001 Civic Tranmission - Canadian Class Action Lawsuit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 AM

sorry to hear about the transmission problem, don't know why these guys are being such ****** everyone knows that from 98-02 honda auto transmissions sucked they didnt make the transmission there self and had it contracted out so it wasnt even a true honda product . i wouldnt buy any of there automatic cars anyway or any of there new products, I personally feel there older products (early and late 90 models) where some of the best cars they made

Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Here's the way a warranty works:

When you buy a new car, you get various warranties, covering things like the powertrain, suspension, etc. They give you a mileage and a date for when the warranty expires; the warranty expires when one of the criteria is met. Until the warranty expires, Honda is obligated to repair any damage or defect not caused by the owner. After the warranty expires, Honda is obligated to do precisely jack sh*t; the car's components lasted as long as Honda said they would. After that point, you're on your own.

As far as everyone being ****** about it, it's how things go; welcome to real life. We're not here to baby everyone and tell them that they're right. That's what mothers and public school systems are for. We're here to be realistic.

OP, good luck on the lawsuit. The only reason I see Honda replacing transmissions gratis is due to bad publicity. However, perhaps you should buy another car? With GM, you won't have to worry about anything like this happening. I mean, it's not like they're known for not engineering something correctly, and raising specifications (to what other manufacturers would refer to as "butt-f*ckingly retarded unsafe specs) to act as a band-aid for the situation. Face it, every car manufacturer is going to have hiccups that they don't feel like fixing. Look at VW for example: they flat-out fail at making a decent ignition system. It's just how things work. Honda's only real issue was the automatic transmission (as well as the 6-speed K-series transmission, what with its 3rd-gear-grind and all). If you're going to condemn them for that, good luck finding a car you won't condemn. I hear Nissan likes to replace transmissions.

Oh, by the way. I'm a service tech myself. As far as warranties are concerned, dealerships do provide a little leeway for cars slightly out of warranty, regardless of known defects (provided there are no TSBs for that part). For people with cars that aren't even close to being within warranty, they can kindly get bent, because they're going to pay for it if they want it fixed. Dealerships aren't charities, nor are manufacturers.

Last edited by reaper2022; 10-02-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
HCF Member

It is good you have done all this research about the lawsuits on their various transmissions, but had you done some of this research before your transmission died, you probably would have realized that these Honda's have a problem with the transmission, and expected it.

It is like my last car, a 94 Ford Probe (Auto). Anyone who knows about the generation of Probes knows they have a horrible automatic transmission (it is the one of the only mechanical components actually made by Ford on the car). I bought it at 40,000, did two transmission fluid changes in the time I owned it, and I wasn't the least bit surprised when it died on me around 95,000mi.

It is NOT unusual for automatic transmission in all brands of cars to fail in the 100k mi range. It is unusual for them to last to the 200k mi range, which a lot of 90's Honda autos have done.

Don't waste your time with a lawsuit, you are out of warranty, have plenty of miles for an automatic transmission to fail, and will likely not get anything from them to justify fighting over it. Pay the $2000 it will likely cost to get a new transmission built, and worry about the problem in another 100k miles (or just sell the car if you are that outraged).

Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Unhappy

Thank you for having this thread here! I've been wanting a Civic for over a year while saving for a "new" car, but I didn't research problems too much - after all, it's a Honda! Then just as I'm about to walk out the door to probably buy a 2001 automatic an hour drive away with no warranty...I read all this, and on multiple forums! I knew it about Accords, but I just derped it on Civics probably using the same transmission. So...unfortunately, no Hondas for me on this budget. I'm disappointed - really disappointed, but I can't afford to take the chance, unless the transmission had already been replaced. But I did read the Carfax, and it didn't report that, just the the timing belt had been changed a couple years ago and a minor accident in the rear.

Is it rude to ask for alternate suggestions on this forum? I would like to look at Subarus, but all I ever see for sale in NH are Foresters and Outbacks. I want a sedan. *sigh* Feeling overwhelmed.

thx,

Kristen

Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Go for a 96-00 Civic instead of an 01-05? Much more support for the D16 engine platform than the D17 engine platform. Older car = cheaper. More reliable platform.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 AM

Well, I had thought of that, but I'm kind of su****ious that there are 2000s just dripping from the FS ads - loads and loads. Why?

I mean, I liked my Accord (except for the Honda Cancer,) so I'm still interested in another Honda. Ideally that would be the next generation, but it's taken me over a year to save just $4k. No, I have no/bad credit and no job currently, so...no payments! Or I'd look at the next generation.

Anyway, ATM, I'm just aimlessly wandering the net looking for a large, appropriate forum to ask about general car makes/models that meet my requirements. *another sigh*

Thx,

Kristen

Last edited by mfskarphedin; 03-10-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: what?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:31 AM
HCF Member

Was wondering if these widespread automatic trans problems were corrected by the 2003 model, or did they use the same trans as 01-02. I know the tail lights and gauge illumination changed in 03, maybe they made some other improvements as well?

I have been hunting for an 04-05 EX but have found an excellent deal on an 03. Any personal experiences with the automatics of this year?