General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

5th/6th Gen: Options question - cruise, etc. on DX or HX?

Old 05-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Default 5th/6th Gen: Options question - cruise, etc. on DX or HX?

I'm looking for a Civic Coupe (non hatchback) that gets ~40 MPG or better (manual trans), but I need cruise control since I will be making a lot of long trips.

Looking at 5th gen. (92-95), the DX didn't come standard with cruise control, power windows, or a tach. Were they not even available as an add on?
If not, why? The LX Sedan did, yet only has the 1.5L like the DX. I need the 1.5L for the MPG. The EX (w/ cruise) Coupe has the more thirsty 1.6L SI engine.

What about the 6th gen (96-00) HX. Does it have cruise? It has a 1.6L but is rated ~45 MPG since it's a VTEC-E version like the 1.5L in the previous VX hatchback. It also has a tach and power windows.

Last, could you not get the 1.5L in any 6th gen Coupe?

Old 05-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Default RE: 5th/6th Gen: Options question - cruise, etc. on DX or HX?

Don't know about the other generations, but I've got a 2003 7th gen DX, 5mt, and I've been averaging about 41 mpg--low of 40.33, high of 41.4. Got 39.something on one tank all around the town.

Manual windows, no tach or cruise control, but I do have and use AC. Hope that helps.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM

Does anyone know anything about adding cruise control to a 6th gen HX? It seems cruise wasn't available as an option for the 6th gen HX. I need cruise. How hard would be to either buy the parts from Honda or try to pull them from a salvaged EX/LX, and add it on myself? Is the throttle bracket different?

Else, what about an aftermarket unit? I'm a bit weary of aftermarket cruise units (safety, performance, throttle assembley not looking rigged up). Should I be? And from what I remember, the switches usually look cheap and far from the OEM look, especially havnig to be mounted. But I haven't seen any in 10 years. Does someone even make one for the HX?

Old 06-14-2006, 09:17 AM

Rostra makes a aftermarket cruise with 3 different style controls - one that mounts to the bottom of the steering wheel and does look fairly OEM. The guy in this article used it on his Honda Insight. But if you look at Rostra's website, they only offer cruise for the Civic DX. So they don't make a throttle plate for the HX (which is the only thing needed that would be different than the DX right?). There was a guy here that was trying to put it on his HX, but stopped replying.

I called Rostra and talked to a tech guy who said they don't make a cruise for the VTEC because, for liability reasons, they couldn't make one that worked correctly because the nature of the VTEC.

If Honda can offer one on later VTEC's (which more than likely a 3rd party company, like Rostra, makes the cruise that Honda uses anyway), I don't see why Rostra can't. Perhaps there just isn't enough demand for one since to me there don't seem to be many HX's sold.

Are there any other companies that might make one for it?

What about getting the parts from a 7th gen HX (since they came with cruise) and using them on a 6th gen? Will that work?