General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

94 Honda Civic Overheating!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Default 94 Honda Civic Overheating!!!

Sadly i bought a 94 Honda Civic EX for 1k at an Auto Auction. Later on put 1k into getting it into its current shape now. It is still running hot. I kan drive for about 20 min and then it starts to overheat. Sometimes the gauge will go back down sometimes it won't but eventually it overheats. There is no water in my oil. I've checked, a mechanic has checked, and several other people who aren't mechanics but are very good with cars have checked this oil lol.
I changed the thermostat about 7 months ago and it hasn't been run very often. I ran some water through my radiator after taking off the hoses lots of black gunk kame out. The same gunk was in my resevior tank. I replaced a hose and yes both hoses are hot. The only time i see bubbles cuming up in the water from the radiator is when the kar is hot though and i put a water in it.... Water pump and its pully have been changed also. I also put another EMC in it...There was a lot of damage to the electrical wiring in the car if that helps any!?!? HELP ME!!! 2k IN THIS KAR IN ONE YEAR I'M SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING BUYING AN 18 pack of BUDLIGHT AND WATCHING THIS BAD BOY BURN!!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Default Almost Forgot!!

My fan is working as well. I don't think its the original radiator for the car is in it at an angle instead of being straight in the braket that holds it in place. When the car runs hot steam and water come from under the radiator cap as well as out of the Overflow tank.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Man i feel retarded one more thing... There is something beside it that is smaller and looks like a mini radiator but has no place to put coolant in it. It also has a fan behind it like a regular radiotor wtf is that?? Could that be whats doing it??

Old 09-18-2009, 04:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The radiator-like device on the driver's side is the air conditioner condenser. It doesn't have anything to do with cooling the engine.

With the engine cold take off the radiator cap and start the engine. If a bunch of bubbles and gas come out when you rev it up, the head gasket is blown.

You need to clear all the gunk out of the system. Make sure water can flow freely through the radiator. Replace the thermostat (again) or test-drive with no thermostat.

Try jumping the fan switch on the thermostat housing to make the fan run all the time. If it doesn't overheat like that, replace the fan switch.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

The first thing I would do would be to take the radiator off and run pressurized water through it. Then I would inspect all the hoses for leaks and replace the Head Gasket. Also when you replace the head gasket check the coolant path in the block and head to make sure its not clogged and clean it out as necessary. Grab A Repair book from your local Napa or Shucks and it will help you with the whole process giving you specifications etc. After you replace the head gasket replace the thermostat as well. Then check the new water pump because the gunk you described may have clogged that up too. Flush out the whole system if I didn't say that already and refill it. you may be looking at an engine rebuild. If the fan comes on then that shouldn't be the problem. But do as mk378 said with that anyways. Good Luck.

Last edited by project91; 09-19-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Default Update

I hadn't had a chance to read the responses but i tried some things this weekend. I flushed the radiator and changed the thermostat. Its no longer running hot. I took it for a test drive.... a 120mile test drive at 1 in the morning... to where my g/f lives and it didn't run hot or even move for that matter... BUT i had to put coolant in it once we got there it lost some..Also ran fine in the daytime when i was on the way back. gona see if the bubbles and stuff come out when i rev it.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Chubby Chaser

you should be fine it seemsthe thermostat was bad. the coolant lose wasnt that it lost coolant, you have to bleed the coolant system to get all the air out.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:56 AM
HCF Member

Did you bleed your radiator? Check the DIY section it gives the instructions on how to do it.