General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

AC Problem on a 97 ex

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Default AC Problem on a 97 ex

I've got a 97 ex sedan and I just installed an automatic start in the car. The problem is that when I start my car, the air comes on but the ac button has to be pressed for cold air. I use to be able to press the ac button for cold air, then turn off my car and whenever I started my car again, the ac button would still be illuminated. Basically if I can't get the ac button to stay on when I start the car, then there will be no point of having the automatic start. I have the correct wire from the automatic start connected to the accessory wire and that only turns on the air, but not the ac. I even tried connecting the accessory wire from the automatic start to my acc/heater fuse, and still i would only get air with no ac. If anyone knows of this problem, or can help, it would be appreciated.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the 7.5A BACKUP fuse under the hood blown?

Old 06-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if your remote start system powers the blower than there is no reason the AC shouldnt be powered also. you just have to be sure the AC button is pushed and ON when you get out the car since its not automatically turned on.
that was my biggest problem was forgeting to turn the AC before i turned the car off and remote start it later.lol

just like in the winter id forget to turn the temp **** to heat.

and its best to power all the ignition and accessory wires with the remote starter system! some cars dont want to run right without them and sometimes the wiring diagrams are wrong! best to check the wires yourself right off the ignition switch.

the wiring diagrams i got for my truck where wrong on the accessory wire and on my civic harness the 2nd ignition wire wasnt even printed. had to wire up a extra relay for the 2nd ignition.

Last edited by addiction2bass; 06-18-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 AM

I checked the fuse already and its not blown. The problem is that my ac use to work fine. I would have the car on with the ac on and then turn off my car and whenever I started my car again, the ac button would still be illuminated. Now its like my car can't remember that I had the ac button on and whenever I start my car (using remote start or keys). I have to press the button every time. The ac button does flash for a second when I turn the car on though, it just doesn't stay lit.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The memory function is in the control panel itself. The panel must get backup power while the car is off or it will reset itself and come on with the A/C off. If the fuse is OK the next thing would be to check at the pins on the panel to make sure it has steady power.

The panel also has a self-test where it can report error codes. You may need a new control panel, but it's too early to conclude that for sure.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The memory function is in the control panel itself. The panel must get backup power while the car is off or it will reset itself and come on with the A/C off. If the fuse is OK the next thing would be to check at the pins on the panel to make sure it has steady power.

The panel also has a self-test where it can report error codes. You may need a new control panel, but it's too early to conclude that for sure.
I agree with what mk says, although 96-98 Civic heater control panels don't include a self diagnosis function.

Did you check BACKUP fuse 47 with a multimeter? Did you try replacing it?

The WHT/BLU wire from the BACKUP fuse pins to terminal 3 of the control panel connector. As mk recommended, check for battery voltage to ground at this terminal. If you have battery voltage, then you probably fried the control panel circuit board when you wired your remote start system. In this case, you'd need to replace the panel to regain the memory function.

Name:  picture_2962.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  62.7 KB