Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Problem after problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:35 PM
HCF Member

I just picked up my car a few days ago after getting the engine replaced. The car had 2 codes a day after I picked it up, p0500 & p0135. So I checked the harness around the O2 sensor and one of the connectors slipped off. I then reset the pcu. I then drove the car for 2 hours, when I got close to home I noticed that the rpm's were at 1500 at idle. I got home and the car had 2 new codes p0420 and p0505. Can someone tell me what is going on with all these codes poping up? So in neutral the car idles at 1500 & when I tap the gas it hesitates. When I drive it and give it gas it hesitates, so what is going on?

also there is a bit of a burning smell and smoke coming from the engine compartment, could this be from the new clutch that the car has?

ok another issue, i took the iac valve off to clean it, it has two hoses hooked up to it, I took one off and it had a little water, took the second one of and water just keept pouring out. Is this part of the cooling system? If so why is part of the cooling system hooked up to the iac valve(to control idle based on engine temp im guessing).

also Im sure its important, when i unplug the Iac valve electrical plug the car idles fine, why???

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 11-16-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: for ****'s sake, just edit the post
Old 11-14-2010, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

Why don't you take it back to the shop that did the work? They should made it right.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree, take it back. But the competence of that shop may be lacking.

Coolant circulates through the IACV to keep it warm. In cold weather, preheated air vaporizes the gasoline better, which makes the engine run smoother. With IACV unplugged, the engine should slow down to below normal idle. If plugging it in makes it too fast, the ECU wants it that way. Usually that is a problem with the ECT sensor-- ECU thinks the engine is cold when it is not, setting up a fast idle. Check that your ECT sensor under the distributor is plugged in.

Resolve all codes first before expecting proper idle or performance though.

Last edited by mk378; 11-14-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 PM
HCF Member

yea about the shop they left 2 bolts off the passenger side motor mount, i guess we are all human. I guess I should take it back I was trying to fix it on today by myself(so I can learn a thing or two). Well I cleaned the iac valve and the car seems to run smoth now. I turned it on and it was at 1k rpm, I tapped the gas a little and it did not hesitate anymore like before I cleaned it, cleared the codes and then I turned it off cause im exhausted, last night I partied alittle too much.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

So after while trying to take the IAC valve off I dropped a bolt, looking for it I found these 2 connectors and I would appreciate if someone could tell me where they are supposed to go to. They are both attatched to a metal bracket. I attatched the pictures. The third is just a random motor mount.

Attached Thumbnails Problem after problem-sl370001.jpg   Problem after problem-sl370003.jpg   Problem after problem-sl370006.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

As far as the P0420 goes I just had that code pop up and after talking to 3 diff ppl about it they all came up with the same answer, you need a new cat, that code if Catalyst below normal threshold or something to that effect as far as the plugs go Im sorry but I can't help

Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
HCF Member

Yea, i was doing a little research on how to test the cat. you drill holes before and after and test the pressure. I guess tomorrow im going to look for a pressure tester...but those wire are still buggin me...

Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

if your cat is bad. most likely its from another problem. maybe fromebefore the engine swap? still you'll want to find the source for the bad cat.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Would you mind just editing your posts instead of posting 4 times in a row?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

What motor is in this car btw Im going to look at my car tomorrow to see if maybe these plugs are on mine and to see if I can trace them back to their counterpart

Quick Reply: Problem after problem