General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Body work - Can I do it myself??

Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Default Body work - Can I do it myself??

Hi Everyone,

I was visiting Toronto last week and I was parked in one of those underground spots all weekend. After packing everything, I get in my car, organize my stuff, answer an email, and proceed to backup to start my journey home. Then I hear a loud noise but of course it's too late at that point, I ran into a rectangular concrete post that was in my blind-spot and I forgot was there! Here is the damage:

Body work - Can I do it myself??-car.jpg

I want to replace the entire panel (which is actually pretty small) myself. 99% of the damage is on the panel...a biiit on the front light but i'm okay with that.

My questions is:

If I just order the part here: 60261-S01-A100 - Honda PANEL L, FR FENDER

Will I be able to fix this myself? I am pretty handy but have never swapped body panels. I guess my biggest questions is are there any welded pieces? Or is there any reason this would be harder than it looks? i.e. I have to take off other parts of the cart etc...

Also, I assume the part doesn't come painted? I am planning on just painting it to the closest matching shade myself. (I know it may not look perfect...but as you can tell I'm very price sensitive )

Thanks for any suggestions!

Andrew

FYI - I tried posting on the DYI forum...but I don't have permissions...

Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Yea, the DIY section is for "approved" posts showing users how to do something, not a place for asking questions.

Anyways, I can't imagine it being too much of a pain to replace. Of course, you would have to get it painted to match I bet. The trouble is, you probably have to remove the front bumper, headlight, (possibly the grill), and maybe the side skirt to access all of the bolts holding the fender on. You would also have to disconnect the fender liner from the underside of the fender, too. Keep in mind this is just going off of what I have to do on my 99 Civic.

As long as you take you time with painting, you can probably do a good job with a spray can. There is a company online somewhere that sells exact OEM matching paint in a spray can. You should google it to see if you can find it.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 AM

Thanks. That seems like a lot of work though...

I should mention that my car is a 4 dr 2008 Civic.

Andrew

Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 AM

It sounds like a lot of work, but luckily it's just a fender. You pretty much just look at all the edges and remove all the bolts and screws you see. Keep pulling on it until you find all the bolts and clips and stuff that are attached. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Like mentioned before, you will have to remove the front bumper for ease, likely the headlight, and definitely the fender liner clips. Possibly the side skirt, but I've never had to disassemble an 8th gen Civic before.

You can get paint from Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Touchup Paint Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup | 888-710-5192 for an okay price. Color match is typically spot on. There are also some DIY videos that show you how to use their products. They sell color matched paint in rattle cans with decent spray tips.