General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Buying advice 1993 civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Default Buying advice 1993 civic

Hey there, this is my first post but wanted to get some response from some experts on what purchase I should make.

I've had two civics previously, a 1995 Civic DX and my current vehicle, a 2000 Civic EX. A manual transmission is a must for me which narrows my buying options considerably. Unfortunately my current car has a flashing check engine light and has been nothing but trouble since I bought it last spring (Craigslist seller seriously lied to me).

So I'm in the hunt and came across a 1993 Honda Civic EX selling for $1500, with 157000 miles on it. The question is, what are your thoughts? Will this car last? Am I going to need to purchase another car soon if I buy this vehicle? I'd like something that will last at least another five years.

I'm also interested in buying a late 1990s CRV (also manual transmission), which are much rarer than the auto transmission.

Civic link:
1993 HONDA CIVIC

Old 01-23-2016, 05:07 PM

That is an incredibly difficult question to answer. You are asking if we think a 22 year old car will last another 5 years without knowing it's history, or your driving style/habits etc. Not trying to mean, just hoping you can understand what you are asking of us.

If the Civic was properly maintained, then it should be fine.

Have you had the 2000 Civic looked at by chance? Any idea why the CEL is flashing?

Old 01-23-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
That is an incredibly difficult question to answer. You are asking if we think a 22 year old car will last another 5 years without knowing it's history, or your driving style/habits etc. Not trying to mean, just hoping you can understand what you are asking of us.

If the Civic was properly maintained, then it should be fine.

Have you had the 2000 Civic looked at by chance? Any idea why the CEL is flashing?
I totally understand the difficulty in answering the question and I'm sorry I didn't give more detail. I mainly drive to commute. My days of trying to reckless driving are at an end.
The seller says he's replaced a couple of clutch components and the radiator. I'm inclined to trust him but am pretty skittish after the seller of my current vehicle withheld all kinds of issues and I wasn't smart enough to see them before buying.

The code on the 2000 civic reported multiple engine misfires. The car shakes on startup and at idle. I'm pretty sure the code was P1399. From what I can tell it could be a head gasket or valves, but not really interested in sinking any more money into it.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 AM

May I ask why you think there is a head gasket issue when you are providing us with an ignition related CEL? Are you loosing coolant/oil? Burning anything (what color is the smoke coming out?) If there is an ignition system problem (distributor related I am assuming), the car will definitely run poorly.

"A couple of clutch components" interests me. Which components? If I had to drop the trans, I would be replacing everything so I wouldn't have to worry about it again.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
May I ask why you think there is a head gasket issue when you are providing us with an ignition related CEL? Are you loosing coolant/oil? Burning anything (what color is the smoke coming out?) If there is an ignition system problem (distributor related I am assuming), the car will definitely run poorly.

"A couple of clutch components" interests me. Which components? If I had to drop the trans, I would be replacing everything so I wouldn't have to worry about it again.
The oil does burn. I have to put in a quart of oil about every week or two. I'm not sure on what the code meant, the head gasket issue was just one thing mentioned to me and I'm fairly certain it isn't that as my previous civic blew a head gasket and I know what that's like to drive. Coolant is not leaking and the temperature of the car is stable.

On the 1993, the current owner told me the following in a text: "I got it when I was 16 and I needed my first car. I am selling it because I wanted a newer car. I have had this car for 4 years and the only problems I had was I cracked the radiator by dropping a power tool on it but I had it fixed. The master and boot cylinder for the clutch both went out and I had them replaced 2 months ago. Other than that the driver window needs greased up and the ac needs serviced soon. But I honestly love the car. Like I said the only reason I am getting rid of it is because I bought a 2015 dodge dart."

Old 01-24-2016, 10:15 AM

Oil burning could be from a few different things like piston rings, or valve seals. my money is on the valve seals. I would google the fault code more and see if there is something you can use for a fix.

Got it, I read clutch components as something like flywheel, throw out bearing... things that require removing the transmission. Master and slave cylinders could be lumped into the mix of "clutch components".

Do I think the 93 civic will be problem free for 5 years? No because there isn't a car on the face of the planet that hasn't needed something within a 5 year period (unless it isn't being used). Hell, my 03 Maxima with only 28k original miles needed an alternator shortly after purchasing it. I'm at 39k now with no problems (*knocks on wood*) but it has only been 8-9 months since I have installed the alt. let's see if it makes it through the winter without any problems...

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 01-24-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:47 PM
HCF Member

Get an Audi S3