General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Couple of general oddball questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Default Couple of general oddball questions.

I've had my 95 EX for a couple of months and love it, but found a couple of things that have me scratching my head:

1) The wiper switch - when I push it down (towards the floor) it just kind of slides down there without any kind of click. That puts the wipers in high speed. Should there be some kind of click or resistance or something there? I've bumped it a few times and it goes down without much of a fight.

2) The moonroof and illumination switches... they don't seem to illuminate! From the looks of it, this is by design, not a burned out bulb. If that's the case, has anyone swapped out those switches with a newer Civic switch, or maybe an Accord switch that illuminates? I hate driving at night and fumbling for those two! Because of their funky shape, I'm not holding my breath on a swap.

Also, unrelated to the switches - when I'm at a stop and make a turn, I get a crunching/grinding from the right side of the car. I'm kind of thinking CV Axle, but don't really have any concrete evidence. As soon as I get close to straight, it stops, no matter what speed I'm going. Seems to be worse on left turns than right turns, if that matters.

Oh, and one more - my muffler vibrates/rattles like heck at idle. Even if I give it the tiniest bit of gas (like the tach hardly moves), it quiets right down. I took a peek under there and didn't see any holes, busted mounts, etc.

Last edited by jfoust; 03-17-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:44 PM

1) There should be some sort of resistance. Sounds like a replacement stalk is on your way. It is easy to replace.

2) I don't think they light up. At least from what I can remember when used to have an EG (92-95)

3) Does it sound more like a clicking noise? Pull the wheels off and inspect the axle boot. If torn, there would be grease all over it so you would be able to tell.

4) Sounds like a heat shield rattling. That is common. Try to pinpoint exactly where the noise it coming from. You may have to put the front or back of the car on jackstands, turn the car on, and get underneath. You should be able to just pull it off. It is alot easier if the exhaust is removed from the vehicle though.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:24 AM

Thanks! I'm keeping my eye out for a new stalk. I kinda figured it shouldn't flop down as easily as it does.

The wheel noise is definitely not a click. It's definitely more of a grinding and crunching noise with a little bit of poping. It's hard to describe, but if it's a click I've never heard one like it. Hell, it's loud enough that I could probably record it w/ my phone...

Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 AM
HCF Member

So.. I can't figure out how to create my own post.. I was dumb enough to let a mechanic I didn't know adjust my valves. Compression if off.. drops RPMs and dies.. I don't know what to do.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Pushing the switch down is supposed to make the wipers cycle across the windshield once to clear light rain, etc. It should spring back up when you release it. The wipers would then complete their cycle in low speed and stop at the bottom. If it doesn't come back up when released, the spring etc. is broken.

Rattling under the center of the car is usually the shield on the catalytic converter. You can try to secure it with wire or clamps, or just remove it.

Look at the outer CV joint boots. CV joints almost never fail until after the boot breaks and lets the grease out and dirt in.

Last edited by mk378; 03-18-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:03 AM

I was getting a scraping noise when turning left and it ended up being the dust shield that's behind the rotor was contacting the rim or rotor. I bent it back a bit and no more noise.