General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

New here, general questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Default New here, general questions....

I will be picking up a 2005 civic EX 4door with a 5speed manual transmission. I don't want to build up the car too much, just make it a little bit more fun to drive. The only thing I know about making a car faster/handle better I have picked up from my "driving enthusiast" buddies.

I want a clean car that looks nice (read: stock) and does not sound like a weedwhacker on steroids. I do not want "rice". My car will have no body kit, no stickers (although I have heard that each sticker adds 3 HP at the wheels). I just want it to accelerate a bit faster and handle better. I do NOT intend to race the car, just a daily driver that will be a blast to drive. The parts I plan to add will be ....

1. AEM short ram or CAI
2. Header
3. cat back
4. H&R springs, lower 1.5"
5. sway bars
6. strut tower braces
7. stickier tires (I want to keep the stock 15" wheels)
8. oh yeah, some high performance shocks

I do have a few questions for those more knowledgable than I.

First off, will the exaust be too loud? I want the vehicle to accelerate quickly but I don't want too much attention, and I dont want to vibrate like mad on a 4 hour roadtrip.

What the hell is a resonator? And what does it do? I have picked up that it is something you stick in your exaust and it quiets the exaust sound?

Can the CAI suck in water? What if I put the valve on it that supposedly eliminates the problem, if there is one to start with? Would I be better off with a short ram?

What can I expect as far as realistic power gains from CAI/header/exaust? WIll I be able to feel the difference? I am not after mega power just a bit more pep in the low-mid range.

Oh and please give some recommendations as far as what brand parts to go with, I am clueless as far as that goes...

Old 05-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: New here, general questions....

First off, will the exaust be too loud? I want the vehicle to accelerate quickly but I don't want too much attention, and I dont want to vibrate like mad on a 4 hour roadtrip.

What the hell is a resonator? And what does it do? I have picked up that it is something you stick in your exaust and it quiets the exaust sound?

Can the CAI suck in water? What if I put the valve on it that supposedly eliminates the problem, if there is one to start with? Would I be better off with a short ram?

What can I expect as far as realistic power gains from CAI/header/exaust? WIll I be able to feel the difference? I am not after mega power just a bit more pep in the low-mid range.

Oh and please give some recommendations as far as what brand parts to go with, I am clueless as far as that goes...
First off.. Welcome to HCF!

The exhaust shouldnt be too loud, as long as you buy a decent one. I just got myself a Megan Racing cat back and it sounds phenominal. And when i take road trips, i toss in the silencer and it quiets the ride down considerably. Sounds almost stock with just a little bit of throatiness...

A CAI CAN and most likely will suck in water if you live in a fairly wet climate. Check into the AEM V1 (i think its V1 anyway), then check out the Air By-pass valve, those are made to prevent hydrolock. I dont have one, so i cant vouche for it, but ive heard from others that it does the trick.

The Horsepower gain question i cant answer, as i dont have that stuff, nor do i have access to a dyno right now. So i'll leave that one to someone else. Good luck man, enjoy that ride. And post up some pics once you start doing mods.

-40-

Old 05-25-2005, 08:27 PM

you might noticed the power gains, but mostly it will be in your head because of the hole in your pocket and the noise. the resognator is like a small muffler, its between the cat and the muffler. yes, the cai can suck in water, and they do have a "valve" that is suppost to suck air from another source if it gets into some water. you might get a 10-15 real horsepower from intake header and exhaust.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

between an AEM CAI, Catback exhaust, and a header, on a stock engine, you will get 10-15 horses

horsepower on bolt ons are all based on percenteges

if you plan on turboing your car, dont get a super expensive header. you should get one of those headers off ebay for 150 bucks, that way when you sell it on ebay you can make what you sold it for. if you get say a brand new ceramic DC sports header for 300 bucks y ou will only get 150 for it off ebay, so get one off ebay if you wanna turbo

other than that theres not much else to say

oh...the quietest catback (IMHO) is the GReddy Evo2, ive installed quite a few, theyre not too loud and they have a nice low sound, as opposed to that angry bee in a folgers can sound. and im pretty sure all good catbacks come with a silencer for those roadtrips

Old 05-27-2005, 02:15 PM

I appreciate the advice guys, and after more test driving I decided not to get a honda. They seem to be asleep at the wheel as far as performance goes, a least with anything with 4 doors. I can not justify paying close to 20 grand for a 127 HP 4 door with a crap interior and squishy suspension. I am buying a new Corolla XRS, with 4 doors, tight suspension, a 6 speed, and a 170 HP high reving engine, that gets better gas milage than a civic SI. Oh and it is as light as a civic 4 door. I'd love to stick with Honda, but Honda's $20000 4 door is just not worth $20000

Old 05-27-2005, 05:03 PM

sad sad day....

Old 05-27-2005, 06:23 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 357wheelgunner

I can not justify paying close to 20 grand for a 127 HP 4 door with a crap interior and squishy suspension.
you need to find better deals dude. i know a guy who bought a 5th gen civ, dropped an engine and did a turbo, suspension, exhaust header and intake for about what u were gunna pay for that one.

Old 05-27-2005, 07:48 PM

I think he was lookin for a NEW ride tho.