General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

New Civic owner - Hello and general questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Default New Civic owner - Hello and general questions

Hi everyone. I'm a new Civic owner (2010 Sedan) from SC. I have a few general questions and thought I would post them all here since I'm looking for just general info and, at the moment, don't need a whole lot of details.

1) I was a GM man before "seeing the light" (lol) and in those, if the radio went out you bought a Kenwood or Alpine or whatever brand and put it where the stock radio is mounted. On this thing though (and the Accord) the radio seems to almost be part of the dash. How would you replace the radio if it goes out in this car?

2) This car has the steel wheels. I'm not into "bling" (I'm too old for "bling") but I might put a set of alloy wheels on it (the brushed finish of course). However this car has the TPMS system on it. Does the Honda TPMS it use sensors on the wheels or another system? I ask because Tirerack.com offers wheel and tires mounted and obviously this is only an option if the car either doesn't use pressure monitors on the wheels or if they are so darn cheap that I could just buy another set and put them in there.

3) What performance mods can this car support? I don't think a supercharger is in the cards but what potential is there? It is the 2010 Civic with the 1.8L 4 cylinder engine.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 AM

1) Probably have to buy a dash kit specifically made for the car.

2) I honestly have no idea. I would check out honda-tech.com for more info on something like this. Not too many members on here modding 8th gens.

3) Not sure what you mean. The motor can take anything you add onto it, but depending on what you want will determine supporting mods (fuel, tuning, etc etc etc). You have a 1.8L R series econo motor. You are already in a tough position since most all companies favor the SI which has the K series 2.0L motor. Most all items which feature "bolt on and go" will not provide much extra power, just cool sounds and engine bling.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
1) Probably have to buy a dash kit specifically made for the car.

2) I honestly have no idea. I would check out honda-tech.com for more info on something like this. Not too many members on here modding 8th gens.

3) Not sure what you mean. The motor can take anything you add onto it, but depending on what you want will determine supporting mods (fuel, tuning, etc etc etc). You have a 1.8L R series econo motor. You are already in a tough position since most all companies favor the SI which has the K series 2.0L motor. Most all items which feature "bolt on and go" will not provide much extra power, just cool sounds and engine bling.
Thanks. I don't expect to be modding this car at all (wife would kill me among other things, plus this is a daily driver so I can't compromise the reliability) but I was more curious than anything else. I didn't buy this car to mod it.