General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Deactivating A/C from Defroster

Old 11-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Default Deactivating A/C from Defroster

As you know, when you turn on the windshield defroster, the A/C in your Civic automatically comes on. I have read and tried many threads on several bulletin boards to deactivate this automatic feature, but because of missing or assumed information, none of them have worked for me "as advertised." I finally found a complete set of directions that works, and to the best of my knowledge, will work for any 01 to 07 Civic. Credit must be given to RPB LX on www.civicforums.com for his clear explanation regarding the following procedure:

1. Start the engine.

2. Using the A/C mode dial, select the dash vent position.

3. Turn the fan to the off position.

4. Turn the temperature **** to the coldest position (all blue).

5. Turn the engine off.

6. Hold down both the Recirculate and A/C buttons while re-starting the engine.

7. Continue to hold both buttons for approximately 7 seconds unil the Recirculation button stops flashing and the A/C green light comes on.

Now when the windshield defrost mode is selected, you have control over whether or not you wish to have the A/C engaged.

To reactivate the automatic A/C feature with the defroster, perform the following:

1. Start your engine.

2. Using the A/C mode dial, select the windshield defrost position.

3. Turn the fan **** to the off position.

4. Turn the temperature **** to the coldest position (all blue).

5. Turn your engine off.

6. Hold down the Recirculate andA/C buttons while you re-start the engine.

7. Continue holding both buttons for approximately 7 seconds until the Recirculation button stops flashing and theA/C button turns green.

8. You have now returned to the original factory setting.

I hope you find this helpful and that it works for you "as advertised."

Old 11-30-2007, 08:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Deactivating A/C from Defroster

Thanks, I have been wondering how to do this. Most of the time I do not want the AC running. At least now I can choose if I want it or not. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 PM
HCF Member

Why would you want the a/c off when defrost is on?It was putthatway for a reason...

Old 11-30-2007, 10:09 PM

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to have it either way?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:13 AM

Masonn.....My reason for wanting the disconnect is because I am a smoker, and sometimes I want the defroster on so that smoke residue does not coat the windshield. There is no reason to have the A/C running under these conditions, particularly in warm weather. Given humid conditions when the windshield may become fogged, all I need to do is press the A/C button and I've got it back. In addition, not running the A/C improves gas mileage. For example, my wife and I have what will soon be a retirement home in Myrtle Beach, SC. We make the trip from Wilmington, DE to Myrtle Beach 6-8 times a year, a distance of almost600 mileseach way. With the A/C on and the cruise set at 73-74 mph, I typically get 35-37 mpg. With the A/C off and the cruise set to 73-74 mph, I routinely get 40-41 mpg.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:47 AM
HCF Member

I grew up in an era when cars did not even have air conditioning, let alone having the AC run through the defroster. We managed to get the windows clean, often with a little help from a coat sleeve or rag. There are times when I feel the need to run the AC to help eliminate the moisture and times I feel running the AC is just wasting gas. I like having the option to run it or not.