General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Did I get screwed or is this guy clueless

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 AM
HCF Member
Default Did I get screwed or is this guy clueless

So I decided I'd start looking around for quotes on getting a turbo installed at a shop here in Albuquerque. Most chain shops wouldn't do it (Pep Boys, etc), so I called up a place that did a ton of work on my friend's Camry. They said they'd have to get back to me, and when they called this morning, they reported that there exists no turbo kit for a 95 Civic EX. I'm willing to bet he's wrong, but was there something about my car that would lend him an ounce of credibility?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

most small shops would touch them... and if the shop says they dont make a kit then you definatly need to stay away from that shop!!!!!

with a turbo theres so many things that can go wrong if not built properly that any shop that does not have extensive turbo setups under there belt wont want to touch it. plus to properly setup a turbo you really need to have it computer tuned on the dyno which most shops dont have access to.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator

haha it doesnt exist...you have one of the most moddable honda engines out there. you should research, grab a few buddies...double the number of beers...build it yourself, get it tuned....profit!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Cereal Admin

z0mg! So GReddy, Edelbrock, and Turbo Specialties, have all been lying about their turbo kits for the d16z6?

Call the shop, laugh at them, and find another shop to do the work. This shop obviously doesn't care about your business. Or, you could always do the install yourself (or with some friends). I don't know why everyone makes a turbo install out to be so hard; if you can change a header, you can install a turbo kit. A few friends, hand tools, a keg, and a weekend are all you need to install a turbo kit.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by My04Civic
haha it doesnt exist...you have one of the most moddable honda engines out there. you should research, grab a few buddies...double the number of beers...build it yourself, get it tuned....profit!
+1, you'll learn SO much more doing it yourself, if something goes wrong you might be able to analyze and fix it yourself instead of sending it back to the shop for them to fix it and pay them more money, not to mention you have NO idea what corners they cut while installing everything. The fact that it will be cheaper and you get to drink beer is icing on the cake.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM

lol... I never thought to walk into Pepboys and ask them how it would cost to install a turbo kit.... probably because they aren't a performance shop! You can piece one together, or buy a "full" kit (give or take a few things) like Greddy, edelbrock. If you decide to piece something together check the for sale section here at HCF. A few people are parting out turbo kits they had or were going to use.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

get an edelbrock kit and call it a day

Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
lol... I never thought to walk into Pepboys and ask them how it would cost to install a turbo kit.... probably because they aren't a performance shop! You can piece one together, or buy a "full" kit (give or take a few things) like Greddy, edelbrock. If you decide to piece something together check the for sale section here at HCF. A few people are parting out turbo kits they had or were going to use.
Believe me, if I had any better options, I would never have asked Pep Boys. However, at least they acknowledge that a turbo for my car exists lol.

My main reason for wanting to get one professionally installed was that I don't really have a ton of experience working on the engine for my car (I've done the air intake, swapped out a battery, stared at my motor quizzically, you know...basic stuff), and I didn't want to leave myself without a ride to work for a couple weeks while I figured it all out. However, I've seen some remarkably detailed DIYs on this website and others, so it might be worth giving a shot. If nothing else, it's a nice project to put under my belt.