General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.

ORIGINAL: mk378
Another point is if you go to court, be sure to have enough money on you to pay the full fine and costs because if you do happen to be found guilty, they won't let you leave without paying.
I don't know where you live, but in PA, when you send in the initial plea, if you choose to contest the ticket, you have to put up the entire ticket as collateral beforehand.

ORIGINAL: 06coupe

u lucky you don't live here in va, caught speeding is a fine up to 3000 dollars. depending on charge.
Yeah, VA seems to be really strict with their traffic laws. It's almost as strict as soCal... (and no radar detectors... where's the fun in that? lol)

Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 PM

yep, and the new fines only apply to instate drivers too. ain't that a joke?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:31 AM
HCF Member

how much would you guys say it'd cost to hire a laywer for this?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I'm in southwest VA. My experience was before this stupid new law but I think if anything this is going to make judges more lenient. The problem precieved by the legislature was that judges were free to impose a lesser penalty if they wanted to, so ticket revenues were down. Now these new "fees" are not up to the discretion of the judge, unless he or she dismisses the charge entirely. Which I suspect a lot of them will do just out of spite to the legislature for trying to limit their authority and make traffic fines a source of revenue instead of a punishment.

When I was in court, the judge would reduce the penalty for almost(*) everyone, simply crossing out the mph the cop wrote and putting a lower speed. So it was still speeding but now a lower fine, fewer points on insurance, and not reckless driving.

(*) The only guy who got hit with the full penalty was the one who showed up with a lawyer and tried an elaborate defense. Your mileage may vary of course. That's why I highly suggest going to observe a session of the court you will be going to.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: my05civic

how exactly do you posepone a court date? i know you call the number on the back, but how long can you posepone it for? i'm gonna try to put it off as long as possible, and after that, just hope the officer doesn't show up in court.

here's some random things i thought of that might help me.
- it was about 12 pm. everyone was out to lunch, no construction workers
- i was not speeding IN the construction area; i sped up coming out of it.
- the area outside the construciton area was 40, not 35 (i was "caught going 44")
- i had passangers that can attest i was not going 44; i was actually going 40, 41 tops.
- i've had no bad driving history
- i had all the paperwork on me
- i live in california where the speed limit is actually 5 above posted

what's the typical price for this ticket? (SMALL city in california)
damn man thast quite a good case good luck

and i know in Michigan any ticket in a construction zone is double the normal fine it would be outside a construction zone [&:] idk about Cali though

Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Sometimes I see signs that traffic violations are double around L.A. freeways. I don't know it applies all the times.

I don't think a lawyer is worth it. It probably cost more than the ticket. The only time you may want a lawyer is for reckless driving or a DUI.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
HCF Member

Yeah but usually fines are double in a contruction zone so even though he was speeding if he goes and fights it and at the very least convinces them he wasn't in a contruction zone maybe the ticket wouldn't be as expensive? I'm not sure, I don't live in California and I've never had a ticket in the 2 years I've been driving but yeah I would fight it anyway.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 PM
HCF Member

thats not true u can still go to traffic school as long as you havent gone in the last 18 months.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:22 PM

You should definately fight the ticket.. the insurance surcharge actually cost more than the ticket itself if you think long term..[:@]

Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

how long is a convincing written declaration of innocence?

Quick Reply: End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.