General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

General Performance Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Default General Performance Question

Hey I'm new here..
I've been driving a 2002 EX sedan since last fall and am just curious as to what the most cost efficient performance upgrade is (in terms of HP/$). I've been looking around at all the gimmick performance chips on eBay and I know they are not what they say they are. What would you recommend as a good way to start working on increased acceleration? (It is an auto trans.)

Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: General Performance Question

best bang for buck is turbo...but you can get gains from intake/header/exhaust, it just will cost more in the long run.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM

turbos are around 3 grand arent they? i know they advertise between 50-100 hp gain, but do most people actually get that?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 PM

Well a turbo kit is 3k. but with enough knkowledge you can peice together your own turbo kit. You can take parts from a volvo or saab to use on your civic, its alot cheaper (1k range) but takes a lot more know how and time to do. As far a chips jet makes one (www.jetchips.com) they cost about 300 and gain maybe 10hp but you have to run high octain ful.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:00 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

alright man first and foremost, get an exhaust if you dont have one yet. thats the first thing you should get. 2nd if you want best bang for your buck, get a turbo.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_400322/tm.htm

goto that link, its a good turbo thread. if you build your own kit, it will cost from 1200-2000 depending on the parts you purchase. read up on turbos, how they work, what you need to get your car ready, and come back with more questions in the turbo section.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:21 PM
HCF Member

There seems to be a huge turbo buzz around here these days. Everyone wants one.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 PM

yea turbo is nice but some people have to pay a S*** load to go to college these days so i would start of with either a Cai or a Sri/Exhaust/headers IMO

Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: hvhs70
As far a chips jet makes one (www.jetchips.com) they cost about 300 and gain maybe 10hp but you have to run high octain ful.
If its 300 bucks and only 10 hp why would anyone wanna get that?? Not to be dumb or anythin lol but what would be the point?!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Boosting a 7th gen is going to be more hassle than you probably want to deal with. Especially if its your only mode of transportation.

Sad truth is that these motors weren't build to be powerful, so it takes a good amount of work, time, and money to get 'em movin.

However, if you want the car to be more fun to drive, look into suspension. I wish that suspension would have been my first upgrade, as it added the most "fun factor" to my Civic (besides the turbo, but thats another story..)

Get a nice suspension setup, and some good wheels/tires and you'll be good to go

Old 05-12-2007, 12:02 AM
HCF Member

An auto isn't going to be a scorcher at acceleratingwithout some serious work. They aren't engineered for handling serious power. You can make your Civic a lot more fun to drive though. A good tuneup is the place I'd start. Check your timing belt for stretch. Check the compression in the cylinders. Change your fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently. Clean your injectors. Get some good plugs and wires. Check your coil and cap. Flush your tranny. Get a hi-flow airfilter and/orintake tube. These are pretty cost-efficient, as they can improve your gas mileage, and upgrade parts aren't much more than OEM parts. Sometimes, they're even cheaper.

After that, I'd look into the suspension too. What good is power if you can't harness it? Make sure your bushings, mounts, and linkages are all in good shape. Looseness in these components can contribute to wheelhop. Strut-tower braces and lower tie bars for the front and rear can be pretty cheap. Adjustable anti-swaybars will help dial in the handling too. These mods need not affect the ride as much as changing the springs or struts, but they will help you corner smoothly and get the power to the ground much better.

When it's time for new tires, shop carefully for an inexpensive tire that will grip well in the wet and dry. Know what your needs are. For example, I don't race or autoX or anything, and I see a lot of wet roads, so I don't need a wide low-pro tire that has ultimate grip and a high resistance to blistering on track days. Instead I chose a tire that has good grip/wear ratingsand exceptional resistance to hydroplaning,with predictable slippage at the limit. Pay attention to wear, heat resistance, traction, and speed ratings. Some peoplepay attention to noise levels too. Tires that are ideal for your needs can really make your car a pleasure to drive.

All the above also complement future possible mods like a turbo or nitrous kit, so you wouldn't be putting parts on, then replacing them later for something turbo/nitrous compatible. Until then, youwouldn't have to use premium gas like withsome of the more exotic mods either.