General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

This a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Default This a good deal?

hey guys, whats up, well, i have a question for all you masters out there. I work at this chinese resteraunt and one of the cooks there has this 94 civic with a b16 swap. It has 56,000 miles on the car itself and about 30,000 on the new engine. He's put countless hours and alot of money into it, heres a basic detail of the car
-type r cams (900 bucks for the two)
-type r CIA
-HR racing exhaust
-type r manifold ($450)
-type r belts
-the b16 swap of course (like 5 grand)
-angle eyes
-full body kit
-indiglo gauge faces (theres a switch that changes the color of blue they are)
-short shifter
-custom ****
-the tach is up on top of the dash to the left, so you dont have to look down, but its in ure periphrial vision ($500)
-20% tints
-15" rims (500 bucks a piece, super light weight and stong)

i know that there is at least another 500-750 under that hood that i havent mentioned.. ok.. now that ive described the car, my question, i recently started looking in the market for either a integra gsr or a honda civic. I have noticed a 97 gsr thats lowerd with 18" motegi rims that has 100,000 miles on it, and id have to drive 5 hours to pick it up, and it cost $7500. My friend said he'd sell me his car (the one above) for 8 grand. My questions, is this too much? would u do it? what would be a fair asking price? how will either car hold up?

i really want the civic, but it is a 94, which is kinda old, and i need a car that will last me for at least 5 years (through college)

o, and by the way, im not some rich punk *** kid thats thinking about buying some suped up civic, everydoller put into the car i decide to get, is my hard earned.

so, thanks guys, any help is greatly appriciated

peace

Old 01-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Default RE: This a good deal?

It all depends on how well you know the guy and some other factors. Does he have the reciepts for all the modifications? Who did the work on the car? Does it look like it only has 56xxx miles?

I wouldnt do it if i were you. The milage seems way too low. If the car was repainted it would be hard to tell since there wouldnt be any rock chips or anything. People can always unplug odometers or even have the gauge cluster replaced. I wouldnt buy a modified car myself, nor would i pay 8 grand for this. Just my two cents.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

yeah, thats a little steep unless he has receipts for everything. and those prices you quoted were a little steep. you can get type r cams for like 5-600 pretty easy, the header would run closer to 400, and the b16 swap should be about 3-3500 installed, maybe a little more, but not 5k, and a good tach is around 150-200 bucks. id say its too risky. if the motor is stolen (which is a major concern, it happens too often.) then you could get pulled over and searched for a normal traffic stop, and if they run the numbers on the motor (which they will.) and its stolen, you could go to jail, or at least have the car seized. and do you know anything about the quality of the mods? if any of the work is shoddy, you could have a major problem and possibly cause an accident. id say go for the gsr. if its pretty much stock.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:40 AM

o, i forgot to add in, he has all the papers (reciets for every, including the engine, its a JDM b16) , and his cousin worked on the car before him. I dunno, what do u guys think would be a fair asking price for his car if were to get it?

Old 01-03-2005, 12:29 PM

personally, i think its probably worth it, even though he got totally ripped off on some of the prices he got is parts for. but look at it this way, u dont have to do anything to the car now.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:59 PM
NTX
HCF Member

i'd try to talk him down a little

Old 01-03-2005, 02:13 PM
HCF Member

Do you have some pictures of the car that you can post here. If you really like the car and if its what you really want, and you your self are sure that its all been done properly and fair in square so to speak, then give him a best offer. Say like, I'll give you $6,800 on the spot to get it off your hands.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:29 PM

thanks for the replys so far guys, i appriciate it.

more stuff i found out on the car today, it has a huge *** dent on the back trunk lid (damn light posts), and the paint is kinda ****ty, and theres a few dents here and there. He said hes going to replace that back trunk lid, paint it, and take all the dents out. O, it also has a type r ecu too.

i drove it today, and damn, its pretty fast.

o, and the reason hes selling it, is because he just became a dad, and this civic just isnt quite big enough for a family car, lol, so hes gonna buy a evo.. damn huh lol, but keep the remarks coming, i need all the opinions i can get in this situation.

---would it just be easier if i went out and bought a 94 ex for like 3500, swapped a b16 in it for about 2500, then work on the engine? well, we'll see what happens, thanks guys

Old 01-03-2005, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

that sounds like a good idea.maybe tell the guy that youll take it as is for like 6, then buy a clean bodied 94-95 from an old lady and do all the mods yourself, swap everything over to your car, then sell the shell of his. that way you know how well everything is done.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:38 AM

that last idea is what ill be doing if he doesnt sell his car (hes puttin a stage 2 turbo in next week), so it all depends on how much he likes the turbo right now. If he likes it, hes already told me he'd sell me most of his parts. and then i just go buy a 94 with 90k on it from some old lady and swap a b16 in it.

well, thanks for the replys guys, lol, i appriciate it