General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How do ppl miss 2nd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How do ppl miss 2nd gear?

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

ORIGINAL: Ben

ORIGINAL: windcalmer

O.K. am I missing something? In my 98 EX 2nd gear is right below 1st. There is no way to miss it. Are other civics shift patterns different? I have missed 5th gear and threw it into 3rd, but missing 2nd??? Seriously, is there something I am not getting?
Ep si's are different, mine is at the top left corner.....

I am not quite sure if you were being sarcastic or not there, but top left would make it first gear, or reverse in some cars, depending on the tranny, but honda is first
Yeah, thats what I though. Ben, were you trying to be funny? Or were you being serious?

Old 03-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Ben

I own the car, do you guys honestly think i've been driving it for a year thinking second is up and to the left ?

Old 03-21-2007, 07:01 PM

If you want to learn how to shift from 1st to 3rd; practice short shifting 2nd for a while--barely keep it in 2nd long enough to fully engage the clutch.This will give you an idea for an appropriate RPM range to engage 3rdfrom 1st. You'll need to master the "heal and toe" technique, and figure out where 3rd is.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Ben

ORIGINAL: scottsilke

If you want to learn how to shift from 1st to 3rd; practice short shifting 2nd for a while--barely keep it in 2nd long enough to fully engage the clutch.This will give you an idea for an appropriate RPM range to engage 3rdfrom 1st. You'll need to master the "heal and toe" technique, and figure out where 3rd is.
Maybe I misunderstood you, but if you were racing and skipped second to go to third you'd look like an asshat.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM

Who said anything about racing? You have to learn your gear box and rev limitations before you even try.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
HCF Member

what purpose would skipping from first to third serve other than bogging you down like a ****?

i miss second when i'm not really paying attention to what i'm doing i've been driving a stick for almost 7 years now. missing second doesn't mean going from first to third, but not getting the stick into second without scraping or engaging before you hit the gas again... some people are dumb

Old 03-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Ben

ORIGINAL: baker

what purpose would skipping from first to third serve other than bogging you down like a ****?

In case you needed some clarity scottslike.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:54 AM

After reading post after post about why you would want to switch from 1st to 3rd, the answeris beyond me.
I've tried it with a few different cars;eachhas a sweet spot that can make the gear transition better, but the pressure you put on the engine is not good at all. Using this technique ina racewould probably send you home without a car; because you lost it in a pink slip race.
:
So..your at a race,
you somehow managed to blow2nd gear in mommy's LE,
"oh no!! what should I do?"
you should probably take it home a park it in the garage. This is not the time tofigure out the new strategy on how to get from 1st to 3rd, when you barely know how to change gears as it is.
Practice Daniel-san.. http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=Daniel-san
:
With20 years of experience of driving stick; using "heal and toe"/"double clutching" can get you into 3rd gear in under 3 seconds. The more recent hydraulic clutches can make this easier to master.