General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

how to make my civic a bit more fun?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:24 AM
HCF Member

so theres better air flow but the engine only intakes what its setup to intake via the camshaft so your just talking out of your ***. why are mumbling about lifters and pistons what are you talking about. as far as the cheapest way to make gains is definitely a head swap with stage 1 cam which doesn't require computer upgrades. you can find heads al over the place for barely anything. if op keeps listening to you he's going to get nowhere. if anyone is trolling its you i mean seriously ''fanboytroll'' way to be inconspi cuous

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 02-08-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:04 AM
HCF Member

Youre so right i bow down to your superior knowledge. A non vtec ecu will definitely work GREAT with a vtec head, you definitely wont need the vtec circuit installed in the ecu or to chip it huh? And sure. . . factory intake and exhaust will give the best airflow and tere is no room for improvement huh no need to remove any restrictions. You are the best thank you.

Again where are the pics of your build? A guy like you with your supreme knowledge must have the most impressive car ever.

F.y.i. If you read the member intoductions i explained that my name is dedicated to the people like you at hondatech. They love to immediately respond to people with hate without checking their facts just like you. You would fit in perfect there. I would love to bring back my elfreaky70363 username but i forgot my email i used so i made a new one. Much love

Last edited by Fanboy_Troll; 02-08-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 AM

I don't feel like reading through this entire nonsense thread. Looks like I will need to tend to the animals running around this forum a little more than I have done so in the past.

OP, you would be best off searching around. This exact topic is beaten to death on a weekly basis for the past 15 years.

There is a way to debate a topic without being elementary about it. Everyone needs to cool it on the personal attacks as we do not condone that behavior here. Thread closed.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:29 AM

Took a moment to read through this thread and here are a few suggestions. I will try to answer all questions and possibly clear up any confusion.

Originally Posted by 7.3
ohh no lol, its gotta stay orange, its been totaled 2 times. and literally has 5 different paint colors on it as of right now. i have winter tires on it for the time being, and nos isnt really something i would ever want to do because i dont race. i just want something to zip around in and be more fun for myself to drive. i have a f250 diesel and diesel is basically the only thing ive ever known. so im really new to all this honda stuff.
Hondas can be relatively quick, fun, and cheap. Cheap. Fast. Reliable. As a general rule with ALL cars, you can only pick two. Your best bet is to figure out how much money you want to spend on the car, unless funds are unlimited. Second, you want to set up a power goal if you are building for power. Once a power goal is set, you can begin buying parts.

In my opinion, I would not waste time on the D15 unless you are throwing a turbo kit on it. Bolt ons will only help you so much, even with tuning. I had a complete bolt on D16y8 Civic with a stage 2 crower cam (built head, too) back in the day. It was tuned as well. Car did not impress me, so I moved to boost. Ended up with a supercharged, cammed D16 with methanol injection. On the dyno, the car made 165whp/145wtq. There are a couple videos on youtube if you are interested. To sum up this paragraph, complete bolt ons (not including a cam as you would then need tuning and at that point, you might as well spend a little more and go boost), you would be looking at an extra ~25whp. The new feel of the car once it is all done would be great, but you would quickly get used to the new found power and start craving more.

I wouldn't be comfortable giving you a suggestion on what you should do with the car unless you can tell me power goals and budget.

Originally Posted by 7.3
also, it already has a suspension kit on it. no idea what it is or anything, but its been lowered. its adjustable from what i can tell, but ive never messed with it. all the susp parts look fairly new. its got 157k miles.
It would be a good idea to at least know what type of suspension is on the car. Not to determine if it will give you a crappy ride, but to see if it will be able to handle the power you are adding.

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP
just because it has adjustable suspension doesn't mean anything most ricers only care about being low and can care less about actual performance so they assume buy the cheapest ebay chinese crap possible.
This is true. Many "kids" simply throw coilover sleeves onto stock struts and blow them out or run cheap garbage struts etc. A reason why it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the suspension on the car.

Originally Posted by 7.3
Well no way in hell im going to spend 600 bucks on suspension parts in a 250 dollar car when I have a perfectly good suspension already. I am looking strictly for power. I could care less about looks or suspension stuff.
I get where you are coming from. This all comes down to goals and a budget you have in mind for the car as I discussed above.

Originally Posted by Fanboy_Troll
Seriously you arent gonna get major power for cheap. Id say throw your international motor in there. Or. . . a good start is short ram intake with good filter, bigger throttle body, bigger intake manifold, headers ( no cheap chrome crap ), catback exhaust and a short shifter. All of this will give you a good amount of zip and a fun experience for a little over 1000 if you shop around. If you do turbo youre looking at alot more parts than just injectors to go with it, you need turbo headers, turbo exhaust, better fuel pump, fuel rail, colder plugs then you wont be able to turn up the boost reliably until you beef up the internals. F.y.i. guys on these forums get pissy when noobs ask questions like this because its been answered so many times on here. You can message me privately if you have any questions and I can point you in the right direction. Ive wasted 10 grand on a civic before only to blow the motor a month later so ive learned the hard way whats good amd what isnt.
Originally Posted by Fanboy_Troll
7.3 shop around for second hand parts online. Look for aem cold air intake with bypass filter, dc headers. Apex i cat back exhaust, if you feel confident pull the head and do a port and polish yourself when you put the head back use a thinner racing head gasket it will be stronger and give higher compression. Use premium gas and enjoy. All of these mods together will add 20 to 30 horsepower which is very noticeable on a light car like that.
I won't get into anything more than what Fanboy said here. All of the above information is correct.

OP, if you are still reading this thread, I would suggest for you to create a budget and power goals, do some searching around on the web/stickies on this forum, and then set up a new thread (or project thread!) to let us know if you have any additional questions.