General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I need engine advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Default I need engine advice

First of all, let me say that I'm new to Honda's and don't know much about them so please forgive my ignorance. My wife has a 1996 Civic LX that has 163,000 miles on it. We're thinking of trading my car for a van for her and me taking over the Honda. It's a stick shift and the manuel says the car has a "SOHC 4-cylinder". I would like the car to have a bit more power, I would prefer an automatic but I don't have to have one, so I'm looking to replace the engine and mabey the transmission. My questions are...

1) What engines am I able to put in the car that have more power than the one I have, without modifying anything as far as where the engine bolts on to the frame? Basically just drop the engine in.

2) Would changing the engine require any changes to the suspension?

3) What are the costs of the engines roughly?

4) Where can I buy an engine online?

5) Basically the same questions for the transmission.

Thanks for any help you can give me. If you need more information about my car let me know and I'll try and post it.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-05-2007, 03:19 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: I need engine advice

welcome to the forum, well basically how much power do u want? and im guessing u dont want to spend alot but hmotorsonline.com is good website to buy from alot of ppl recommend them, if u have any question about there engines or other stuff shoot em a email and they reply pretty fast but check this website out to give u couple of ideas. and another thing if u looking for power a manual civic is better to have than a auto trust me and also all the good engines are formanualgood luck