General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Just bought aN 89 Honda Civic HB..suggestions on what I can do to make it better.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Default Just bought aN 89 Honda Civic HB..suggestions on what I can do to make it better.

I just bought a Honda Civic Hatchback. It is a 1989. It's in pretty good shape for how old it is. It only has 114,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from was selling it for 1,100 but I got him down to $850, which I thought was a pretty good buy. I want to do some stuff to make the car look a little better and run a little better , but I am clueless when it comes to this stuff. I am getting it painted and the windows retinted sometime in the next few months. I def need new speakers and a deck in there too, but dont really know what to put in it. I wanna do some stuff to the engine to to make it sound better and go a little bit faster and def a new exhaust pipe...mine is horrible looking. I looked into body kits as well and again I m not to sure what I need to be looking for. Im open to any suggestions that anyone has...please help me in my clueless quest to make my car nice again[&:]

Old 08-04-2004, 02:23 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Just bought aN 89 Honda Civic HB..suggestions on what I can do to make it better.

How about throw in some cold air intake, header, camshaft, port polish, underdrive pulleys, lightweight flywheel, ecu upgrade, turbo and while ur at it buy a new whole entire new exhaust system.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:39 AM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: Just bought aN 89 Honda Civic HB..suggestions on what I can do to make it better.

I wanna do some stuff to the engine
With 114K miles, i would have it checked out to be sure the motor is in good condition before putting cash into tuning. Ever consider a swap?

Old 08-04-2004, 11:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: HondaCivica

How about throw in some cold air intake, header, camshaft, port polish, underdrive pulleys, lightweight flywheel, ecu upgrade, turbo and while ur at it buy a new whole entire new exhaust system.

Wow... thats like 4 times the cost of the car.

If you really want it to go faster then do like NTX suggested and invest in an engine swap. With the hi mileage on it and you wanting to put money into it... that your best bet. You can find a decent VTEC engine pretty cheap. Its just like having a new car and its quicker. If you want it to sound better get a short ram intake[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 08-04-2004, 08:11 PM

here are some links if you wanna take a look
my frends 89...it says its a 90 but he just calls it that...dunno why
http://www.4thgenerationcivic.com/
http://www.andysautosport.com/

i have a 91 hatch...4th gen...right on!...i have some more links if u want them
good luck with the car

Old 12-05-2004, 04:14 PM

From personal experience with a lot of swaps, ZC into a 4G civic can't be beat for the price, especially if you do it yourself. Just a suggestion, albeit a good one [sm=smiley4.gif].

Old 12-08-2004, 12:17 AM
HCF Member

I have no idea what you should do for the engine man. I let my comrades handle that situation. I'll let you know what's up with sounds. I don't know how much you have to spend, but if you want to go big, you should get some infinity speakers in there. They got some crystal crazed out coaxial ones that will run you $1200. If you're after something a little less costly, shoot for some Boston Acoustics or Eclipse speakers. I personally have Eclipses and they are the sound clarity man (I have a 4th gen too) Get one with at least[/u] 45 watts running to each speakers along, sub outputs and possibly XM ready if you're interested in that. I got a hand me down Pioneer with organic display, which is nice looking, but rough to operate at times Eclipse is my first choice when it comes to decks because they're not too fancy but get the job done. Others such as Clarion, Sony, Alpine will treat you alright.

The thumps! For subwoofers I've always been a big proponent of JL. Don't get the W0 models though if you plan on doing any serious pounding. W3 is where it's at. Amp wise I'd go for Kenwood or JL.

Well, that's my input on the sound. Good luck with your ride man.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:13 PM

well as far as sound goes, get a short ram intake, and a good cat back, u should be satisfied. but do consider the swap