General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Just curious about top speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Just curious about top speed

let me guesss... your friends are either domestic muscle-heads or they own either cavaliers or neons. Trust me, your civic can go way faster than 80. I've had my '94 ex up to about 113 before I had to slow down (my exit was coming up). And for anybody that might scold me for going that fast on a public road, it was 5:30 AM and I was the only car on that highway. I've heard the governer on most civics hits at around 120.

EDIT: and to top off the 113mph run, it's an auto. I'm swapping to a manual transmission soon... then I'll find out what my car can really do.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:12 AM

ya my 97 dx hits 110 easy.... and all i got is cai, so ur car could easily hit 105+ just takes a lot of road with little traffic but it will get up ther...

Old 07-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the replys everyone. I appreicate it. Yeah I'm not looking to race or anything, I just heard them say I would struggle to get past 80, I thought that was bizzare considering my mothers montero gets to 80 pretty easily. Its good to know that my car can go faster then 80 if I ever need it for some strange reason, such as an OJ simpson police chase.

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

tthiers only one place in the world where you can realy test out your car legaly... and good lock transporting your car over thier and testing it out yourself... tho i would admite it would be sweet to live over thier expetialy if they had some of those radar things that told ya your speed LMFAO that would be kick @ss.......
Yeah, where is that highway at, like in Germany or something? I don't think there is anywhere I can test my car out more then 60 mph around here without losing control, unless its on the interstate or PA turn pike. I love in the boonies, so there are a lot of curves.

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

let me guesss... your friends are either domestic muscle-heads or they own either cavaliers or neons. Trust me, your civic can go way faster than 80. I've had my '94 ex up to about 113 before I had to slow down (my exit was coming up). And for anybody that might scold me for going that fast on a public road, it was 5:30 AM and I was the only car on that highway. I've heard the governer on most civics hits at around 120.

EDIT: and to top off the 113mph run, it's an auto. I'm swapping to a manual transmission soon... then I'll find out what my car can really do.
lol funny you mention that. Most of my friends are 16 anddon't even have a license yet, let a lone a car. I'mone of the first of my friends to get a car @ 17. I was driving with my friend who fashions a 97 dodge durango manual around. He says he can probalby kill my civ in a race, he cliams he can get up to 50 in second gear,bs i think?

Old 07-07-2007, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

you can test your car in either:

-on the streets illegally
-in the salt lake flats
-on the autobahn

Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

you're buddie's durango BETTER be able to hit 50mph in 2nd, cuz my CIVIC will do that (pushing the redline). No I havn't modded it either cept for a SRI.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

It's faster then you need to go and that is all that matters

Old 07-07-2007, 04:52 PM

ya my civic hits like 57 on the redline when i take it to the dragstrip and all i got it sri.... oo and its non vtec

Old 07-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Yo, me and my buddy on day stole my moms 03 Honda Odyssey and took it to a little strip about 2 miles from my house. Pushed that bad boy to the floor and we got to about 100, started whislin' and still held it. I didnt belive it, but we got up to about 128 then let off the gas. I never been that fast lol. I remember lookin at the rev limiter and belive it was all most to the red zone, but still hada little more to go. We had to sell it though cuz we coudnt efford payments. Man it had leather and a tv in it. And yall are telling me you cant go past 120-130 in a civic? c'mon.

Dag I was plainnin on gettin a 97 ex too. ha.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

The fastest I've been in my 97 HX manual is 117. The only real performance Mod I have done (other than suspension) is a CAI. I can get to 65mph in second gear before hitting the redline. It's all about how you accelerate.. that being said, I'm not sure how it would work out in an automatic. Either way, i'm sure that it's more than capable of surpassing 80mph and it can probably get there fairly quick if it has Vtec.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^ on an auto, you just have to keep it in 3rd gear (select d3)... 4th gear is way out of the powerband, and you'll actually end up losing speed. I never got to see what happens when you shift into 4th right before redline... I'd assume you'll gain a few mph, but I doubt anything serious.

Quick Reply: Just curious about top speed