General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Just curious about top speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Default RE: Just curious about top speed

Ho ho. Im not getting this. Your saying if I put in in d3 instead of d4 it will go faster? Another queston, whats the best way to get in top speed with an auto? shift by the d1-d4? Keep it in one gear?

sorry a newbie queston

Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM

The speedo in my '02 Si goes to 145! Haven't really tried to top it out yet but I've got it up to 120 or a little over...

I got my first car (an '85 Accord LX 5spd) up to 125 downhill with a tail wind once, but it was scary as hell so I never did it again!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: I Only Drive Honda

Ho ho. Im not getting this. Your saying if I put in in d3 instead of d4 it will go faster? Another queston, whats the best way to get in top speed with an auto? shift by the d1-d4? Keep it in one gear?

sorry a newbie queston
yeah, 4th gear is just sort of... there. If you notice, autos have to downshift to gain speed. I've noticed in my '94 that if you have it in 4th, it'll just sit at like 4,000rpm... if you manually put the car in 3rd, it can't shift to 4th. Instead, it'll work its way up to redline. like I said, I never got to see what happens when you shift to 4th at redline in 3rd, so I'm not sure if that would help or not.

Andas far as the best way to get to top speed, itreally depends on a few things. The biggest is whether or not you're already moving. If you are, just throw it in 3rd and floor it. If you're at a stop, go ahead and shift like it's a standard. The way an auto works is that it's never in 1st gear unless you manually shift to 1st. So if you're at a stop, definitely shift to 1st; it has a lot more torque than any other gear. Just be warned:driving like you're in a standard when you'rein an auto will eventually wear out your shift linkage.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:24 PM

yeah, 4th gear is just sort of... there. If you notice, autos have to downshift to gain speed. I've noticed in my '94 that if you have it in 4th, it'll just sit at like 4,000rpm... if you manually put the car in 3rd, it can't shift to 4th. Instead, it'll work its way up to redline. like I said, I never got to see what happens when you shift to 4th at redline in 3rd, so I'm not sure if that would help or not.

Andas far as the best way to get to top speed, itreally depends on a few things. The biggest is whether or not you're already moving. If you are, just throw it in 3rd and floor it. If you're at a stop, go ahead and shift like it's a standard. The way an auto works is that it's never in 1st gear unless you manually shift to 1st. So if you're at a stop, definitely shift to 1st; it has a lot more torque than any other gear. Just be warned:driving like you're in a standard when you'rein an auto will eventually wear out your shift linkage
Ahh. I see. Thanks bro. I hada try it sometime.