General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

led lights?

Old 11-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Default led lights?

where is the best place to put them in your car under the seats i dont know thanks if you can help me. also does any body have the fighter jet kill switch in there car or any kill switchif so how does that work do you hook allyou lights to it sorry i know it sounds dumb

Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: led lights?

Your gonna get a lot of different opinions on this. Just warning you. LOL

I put my cathodes under the front and rear of the front seats. That way my legs dont block the light from them, and I can still use them for seeing whats on the floor.

As for the kill switch, dont have one. Sorry. Oh yeah, WELCOME to the FORUM! Hope you stick around!

Oh here are two pics of what my cathodes look like:

Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 PM

thanks was it easy to install? im thinking bout 4.7 one under the dash and passger and 4.7 under the the driver seat and passanger would that be bright enough

Old 11-29-2007, 08:29 PM

I have done the LED lighting thing, and I don't recommend it. They're hopelessly spotty. But, if that's the way you want to go, hey, it's your car.

I see from your name that you have a 2000 LX. Me too. I used the 6 inch LED bars from eBay. My setup had a total of 6 LED bars, plus four individual LEDs with a resistor wired in.

I had two under each seat, one facing forwards, one facing backwards. Under the seats, there are three metal rings that hold the seat cover on, front and back, for a total of 6 rings. I went the cheap way and used twist ties to hold them in place using those metal rings, ran the wires under the carpet, and had them all meet under the center console, where I tapped into the cig adapter for power. I also had two more LED bars under the dash, attached to... what I guess was something to do with the climate control system (big black box thing, heater core?). Drivers side one was angled down over the pedals and the kickpanel. Passenger's side one aimed directly at the kickpanel too. Overall, it was as even as you could expect for LEDs.

In addition to the bars, I had 4 individual LEDS in the air vents. Running those wires was a pain, and I don't recommend it, but through trial and error mine were a success.

I had a killswitch wired in beside the parking brake handle. The simple killswitch is one with two prongs, not three. All you have to do is interrupt the power to kill the lights. Simple high school electricity tutorial: positive and negative wires. Wire all of your lights positive wires to one wire and all of your negative ones to another wire. Take another two wires and tap the positive and negative on your power source (likely the cig adapter). Connect the negative wires together. Put both of the positive wires onto the switch. If you need to move the switch further away, just add longwe positive wires and have them meet the switch wherever you need. (Be sure to pull the cig adapter fuse, or you'll blow plenty of them...)

This is how mine looked in my old 5th gen. I used the same setup, pretty much, when I moved to the 6th gen.

Name:  IMG_0697a.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  17.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0703a.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  17.7 KB

Windcalmer's pics show how much better it looks with cathodes.

My latest setup used some REALLY cheap "light strips" for a better effect. I got 24 of them for like $10, so hey. I was able to put those things in the door panel pouch, under the seats, under the dash, in the vents, in the speaker grilles, everywhere. The only downside is that they are more like a "courtesy light" than something to show off. They're so dim that my camera won't pick up an accurate representation, so I have no pics. I sacrificed brightness for an even glow with no wires showing and no light sources showing.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: john2000ex

thanks was it easy to install? im thinking bout 4.7 one under the dash and passger and 4.7 under the the driver seat and passanger would that be bright enough
super easy IMO. Under my driver dash i ziptied them up against some random plastic pieces (tried to stay away from wires, but kinda hard, and also they dont get TOO hot anyway). Passenger side i actaully drilled too super small holes in the bottom of the dash piece and using two really small zipties held it up there. Its in a PERFECT position, not visible (even the zipties are barely noticable), and it lights it up awesome. The hardest part was the transistor (resistor box?) idk, whatever it is, it was a tight stretch btu i hid it undernath my center console in the back. Then just get power from the fusebox and mounted a switch right down by my e-brake with a blue LED on it to match the cathodes. Idk, an hour, maybe a bit more, shouldnt take you too long

Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 PM

thanks guys for helping this new guy

Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 AM
HCF Member

I have 4.7 inch LED Flex Strips from Oznium, and mine are under my foot wells, they're not as bright and stuff as Cathodes.. But they're pretty nice, i'll get pics sometime. They are very fun to work with, considering they ARE flexible and stuff, and under my 01 Civic LX, my footwells are kind of curvy, so a simple cathode bar probably couldn't fit too well underneath.