General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Looking at a 99 EX to buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:08 AM
HCF Member
Default Looking at a 99 EX to buy

I've been looking at a 99 Civic EX 5 Speed but I've read a couple places that leave me to believe that this car isn't worth what he's asking for it. Here is the description he gives.
I

For sale is my 99 civic EX. I drive this car daily with no problems. It is currently getting 33 MPG with all the mods. It is a 5 spd manual transmission. It has HID headlights along with blue ion headlight assemblies. It has a DC Sports Header, B&M short shifter, Skunk2 intake manifold, AEM short ram intake, MSD 6AL w/ Blaster 2 coil and the red MSD PowerCap. IT also has a Hi-flow cat and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. The odometer has 241,000 miles on it but the motor was re-worked about 10,000 miles ago so it has plenty of life left. The passengerside window needs a new motor. It has a sunroof. Asking $2800 but will take best reasonable offer.
I have drove the car and it feel wonderful, but I feel I may just be feeling the difference between my auto and his manual. Do you guys think this car is worth what he's asking with that many miles on it? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Looking at a 99 EX to buy

$2800 is really not that bad depending on the shape of the body and interior. I have a 99 with 158k miles on it and its still running strong. I paid $4000 for it, but 241k is a lot of miles even if the engine was rebuilt. If its running strong it sounds like a good deal. I'd check for leaks, check the compression, alignment, suspension, radiator, etc... If all checks out it would make a perfect project car. Also run a carfax report on it and see if its been wrecked. Check the frame and see if its been chopped.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

if the engine was rebuilt then that is a steal for $2800, literally, almost robbing the dude.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:17 PM
HCF Member

The interior is in pretty good condition, much better than my 98 dx. The speaker cover on the passenger door is missing and the center console is cracked. It has 1 scratch that i could find, 2 very small pings and the back bumper has a 4" crack right about the tailpipe where it looked like he backed into something. The motor has oil spots on it like most do but I could'nt see any leakage anwhere on the ground. The reason im being somewhat picky this time is last time I didn't get such a good deal and now I want something clean, realiable and I also wanted vtec and a manual tranny . The mileage on this car is the only iffy thing about it to me. Im a little worried about how this car has been driven. anyways thanx for the input you guys.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:26 PM
HCF Member

If you like to work on cars, this sounds like the perfect project car. Make sure it hasn't been wrecked though.