General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

more great news..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Default more great news..

after school today i was getting ready for work. I left my car idling in my yard while i changed shirts. I pulled out and noticed my temp guage was pegged. I pulled back into the yard..and my radiator erupted.I'm guessing the water pump is the culprit because I checked the water level that morning. I also found the door moulding i was missing after I ordered a new set.[:@]it was wedged between the radiator and overflow tank. all my Bday money is gone now, lol

edit: i took this right after. you can see the coolant sprayed on the motor and pooled on the radiator shroud.the radiator cap is loosely on there in the shot because i just checked the water level out of curiosity after it cooled off. I didnt leave the cap loose, lol

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1449/radiatorjm5.jpg

Old 04-30-2007, 06:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: more great news..

Damn, sorry to hear. But at least it failed at your house not 20 miles away. Silver lining, try to think silver lining.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

Thus is the way of the Honda. When it does break down, it's conveniently in your yard or where you need to be.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:33 PM

haha unlike my honda.. i'll fire it up, then it'll sputter and stall then not want to start... then it'll start eventually, luckily im 99% sure its just the main fuel relay cause a friend of mine had a same problem with his accord.. it does it when its hot out but there was a time or two that it wasn't really hot out and it did it too.. but the times it does it most is when it is hot... i must say, its quite embarassing when it happens, haha.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

Well, spend $60 on a new relay and put it in! I had that problem, and it's real easy to get to!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:36 PM

ahhh, im not gonna get a new relay.. im just gonna re-solder it.. i looked real close at each connection and i found two hairline cracks whereit could pull away and not make a good connection.. so first thing tomorrow morning im gonna do that and save my $60!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: เซ็à¸à¸‹à¸µï¿½

after school today i was getting ready for work. I left my car idling in my yard while i changed shirts. I pulled out and noticed my temp guage was pegged. I pulled back into the yard..and my radiator erupted.I'm guessing the water pump is the culprit because I checked the water level that morning. I also found the door moulding i was missing after I ordered a new set. [:@] it was wedged between the radiator and overflow tank. all my Bday money is gone now, lol

edit: i took this right after. you can see the coolant sprayed on the motor and pooled on the radiator shroud.the radiator cap is loosely on there in the shot because i just checked the water level out of curiosity after it cooled off. I didnt leave the cap loose, lol

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1449/radiatorjm5.jpg
looks just like the radiator i swapped out of my brother's EG civic sunday night in an hour.

I'm guessing you had the same problem he did, and I'm betting your thermostat is the culprit and not your water pump.

when thermostats fail to open up, your coolant can't circulate fast enough to cool your drivetrain and your radiator takes a dump because of all the backed up hot pressure.

a thermostat costs $10-$20. a new radiator is $100 online.

the labor is free, if you do it yourself (and you can, because I did it with almost no light in a garage).

so save some of your birthday money and buy your replacement parts online. you may even get free shipping.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 PM
HCF Member

^+1 on the thermostat

The onyl time my car broke down I was on a pizza delivery that was conveniently in my neighborhood and it broke down at the top of my hill so it just rolled into my driveway lol

Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

gravity rools...