General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Noob with questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Default Noob with questions

I got my first Honda, a 2000 Civic HX Coupe and I have some questions about it. Per the VIN and origional dealers sticker, it has a VTEC-E motor. I am trying to verify this physically as the car is a theft recovery and we all know how fast a motor can be removed when your motivated. Is there somewhere on the block that can help me with this? It's also got a CVT in it. Could that serve as an identifier in that the only block a CVT can bolt into is a VTEC-E block? Also looking for wiring schematics as I am having an odd issue with the Hi-beam indicator in the instrument cluster. It is on whether or not the Hi-beams are actually on and it's annoying me. Below is a list of other things I posted in the New Member Area. It didn't see much exposure so I figured I'd repost some of the questions I asked here.

1. The SRS light comes on and stays on. Is there anything I can check out myself (keeping in mind I don't currently have any code scanning tools etc..) before taking it to the dealer? I'm going to try disconnecting the positive terminal for a few minutes to clear the ECU and then wait and see if the SRS light comes back on unless there is a reason that that would be bad. OK so I removed the battery, waited for 30 minutes and then reconnected it. Unfortunately I still have the SRS light on.

2. The 3rd brake light isn't woking but thats because there appears to be no bulb/socket/harness to plug into the body of the light. Can someone send or guide to me a picture of what it looks like?

3. I was looking at the rear seat release mechanism from the trunk and it appears that the lock mechanism isn't currently connected to anything. Again a pic of what it should look like would be most appreciated. I can get the seats to fold down from the trunk but I was under the im[pression that to get the seats to fold down from the cabin you had to use the key in the tumbler that is mounted on the back deck behind the rear seat. When I look at the end of that mechanism from the trunk it isn't connected to anything. Should it be?

4. A good maintenance manual. I'm a shade tree mechanic so I prefer to have as thourough an understanding of the car as possible.The Haynes manual has been recommended to me, any others?

And now some new questions:

5. Looking for Alarm recommendations. I REALLY like my "new" Honda and I want to keep it so any suggestions on alarm systems?

6. The Driver side door lock is acting...odd. While I am able to use the power door lock to get the door lock to close flush with the panel, I am unable to lock the door by hand (without the key) when the door is open. Is this normal operation?

Any help you all can provide is most appreciated. I've been reading the last 25 or pages of the particular discussion thread and have been very impressed with how much interaction there is here. L8RZ.

Dan.