General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Painting/Plastidip steel wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Default Painting/Plastidip steel wheels?

I was just looking for some opinions. My steel wheels on my 07 Honda Civic have gotten rusted out. I have been exploring ways to correct this issue. Now I have seen people use a high heat paint. But I really do not want to go through all that trouble of removing the wheel. But if I sanded it down and used the Plastidip I would not have to because I could peal it off around the tire. I do like the look the Plastidip gives but I know I could also achieve that with the high heat paint. Not sure what to do so I am looking for some opinions.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:51 AM

you don't want to take the wheel off? or you don't have the necessary tools to do so?

my suggestion would be to take the wheels off, sand down the rust, and spray it with paint

Old 08-30-2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
you don't want to take the wheel off? or you don't have the necessary tools to do so?

my suggestion would be to take the wheels off, sand down the rust, and spray it with paint
I can take a wheel off at a time. But that is about it.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:35 PM

My next suggestion would be to find a cheap tool store (possibly a harbor fright in your area) and spend $20 on a set of jack stands. It doesn't sound like you have one if you can only do one wheel at a time. I do not suggest leaving a jack under a car unless you have no other option. The jack is mean to raise the car, not keep it up.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 PM

First off I feel like cvcrcr99, is the only one who posts on this forum haha. But anyways that is a good idea, and in fact I do have one of the stores not far from my house it will be perfect!

Really trying to work on the cosmetics of the car, it has been tricky because this is real the first car I have ever worked on.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:09 PM

We have a few others posting on the forum, but only a handful. It's unfortunate that this site is so dead nowadays.

Anyways, if you don't have the proper tools, everyone will suggest that you do not work on the car. I know harbor freight has a few cheap tools sets to get someone started. Most anything can be taken apart on the car you have using a socket wrench, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, and 21mm sockets. I would also suggest to pick up a torque wrench. It'll allow you to set the proper torque on the lug nuts for the wheels. I believe you car should be around 80 ft lbs. If you were not aware, yes, lug nuts that are too tight can cause problems. Saw a buddy of mine snap all 4 studs in the rear on a wheel because he tightened the lug nuts too much. It doesn't happen often, but a $10 torque wrench can take the guess work out.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

i used a high gloss BBQ paint on my stock steels without removing them honestly there's no real point in being finicky with steel wheels just be very careful of that over spray. plastidip is ok if you want a flat look but i personally like gloss for steel.